How do I even learn about everything on the S4?

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this stuff. No, really--that's not just my screen name. I have no clue how to use a smart phone! This Samsung Galaxy S4 is my first. I've been perfectly happy with a basic phone with talk, text, and picture mail only, until it broke, and I had no good options for a new basic phone. So I'm forced to upgrade phones, which sounded fun and exciting, and also forced to upgrade plans, which was expensive, and feel like I should at least be taking advantage of the cost...but I have no idea what I am doing! I find I'm pretty much treating this like any basic phone, but with a fancy camera. Today I downloaded my first app (fast facebook) and there are so many ads all over the place it's a huge pain in my @$$. Everytime I open it, it says I can clear default app setting by going to Task Manager. I don't even know what that means or why one would want to clear defaults, or where "task manager" can be found. Everything about this phone just makes me feel like a huge dolt! I just feel frustrated for being clueless and have no idea how to even learn about it. Can anyone give me some guidance??? PLEASE???

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this stuff. No, really--that's not just my screen name. I have no clue how to use a smart phone! This Samsung Galaxy S4 is my first. I've been perfectly happy with a basic phone with talk, text, and picture mail only, until it broke, and I had no good options for a new basic phone. So I'm forced to upgrade phones, which sounded fun and exciting, and also forced to upgrade plans, which was expensive, and feel like I should at least be taking advantage of the cost...but I have no idea what I am doing! I find I'm pretty much treating this like any basic phone, but with a fancy camera. Today I downloaded my first app (fast facebook) and there are so many ads all over the place it's a huge pain in my @$$. Everytime I open it, it says I can clear default app setting by going to Task Manager. I don't even know what that means or why one would want to clear defaults, or where "task manager" can be found. Everything about this phone just makes me feel like a huge dolt! I just feel frustrated for being clueless and have no idea how to even learn about it. Can anyone give me some guidance??? PLEASE???

I would delete that app and get the official Facebook app. When you are in the play store to download apps, it will show you the name of the publisher. As far as finding your way around the phone, YouTube is your friend. Just search for galaxy s4 features or basics. Should help you get started.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy ? S4 using Tapatalk Pro

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
For basics with new tech, I find I need to skim start-up instructions or basic reviews--just so I know how to do basic stuff if I didn't already. I believe manuals are available, but checkout countless YouTube vids on basic stuff, or reviews and vids on places like Cnet. Like this:
Samsung Galaxy S4 review - CNET

After that, plunge in. Using it is often enough to teach you a lot.

After using it for awhile, then I go back and look at videos and manuals in more detail--because now they actually make sense and I pick up things I missed the first time.

terrabiped

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
This is all new to me as well. Two suggestions. 1. Read the getting started guide that came with the phone. 2. Whenever you have a question, google it. For example, you could ask google what is the android task manager? You might also look for an Android for dummies book. Good luck. I feel your pain. There is a lot to learn.

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Experience really is your best bet. For sure, grab yourself a manual, but like it's already been said, Youtube and Google are your best friends. There's just too much you can do with these devices now to be able to give a general guidance lesson on it. You can't break it by playing around, so experiment.

If you change something and don't know how to change it back, there are tutorials all over, and a simple google search will almost always find you an answer. This forum is full of friendly and knowledable people, but it's so much easier to help when you have a specific question.

You said you don't use it for much right now, So one thing I would advise is to google "best apps for Android", pick out a few that you think would he helpful or fun, download them, work with them a bit, then repeat until you're a pro!

Sorry, that was really long winded for not really saying much, hope it helps. And welcome to the world of Android!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I did read the getting started guide but that was not very in depth; I did do one google search for something and it brought me to this site for the answer, so I signed up!

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to figure it out by using it, but I'm home all day with a 13 month old and an almost 3 year old...you do the math on having time to play around with the phone ;) I'm trying though!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did see someone posted a complete manual in PDF version after I posted this and I'm so grateful! It will help.

For future reference, when you want to reply to someone, use the reply with quote option. It'll show who you were directing your post at and makes it easier to follow along.
Welcome to Android Central, by the way :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Ha, see that's how little I know. I didn't realize there were multiple apps out there for it. I just picked the first one I saw! Thanks you.

Oooh. Well, you're going to have fun. :) Download Kindle for Android, Evernote, Aviary photo editor, PowerAmp, DropWords, TripAdvisor City Guides, Lookout Security, just for starters. IMHO, Android works best if you're a google user, since it then integrates with Google contacts, gmail, calendar, etc. If you don't have a gmail account, you should get one. Then DL the gmail app and sign in. Then you can use things like calendar widgets and to do lists (I use Google Tasks Organizer). A great app to block spam phone calls: Mr. Number.

Hmmm. Maybe you should learn to use the phone first. :) But most people carry dozens of apps. I have a lot more, but those tend to be ones I use a lot.

AugustArborists

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all the posters above, and you'll love this phone as I love mine. I do have one question though, the S5 will launch in stores tomorrow, are you still within the two week grace period? I have nothing bad to say about the S4, but believe me, the day the 32 gig S5 hits the stores, my daughter gets the S4, I get the S5. As a new user, perhaps the 16GB S5 model would fit your needs, just watch how much app space is left.

Either way, welcome to AC, it's a great place, scroll through the forums, you'll learn a lot, just as I have (I came from a BlackBerry, so I had a bunch of catching up to do).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! May I suggest the following guides:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...d-2014-part-i-intro-homescreens-settings.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...4-part-ii-installing-apps-managing-media.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-android-2014-part-iii-managing-contacts.html

Keep in mind that these guides are based on the plain "vanilla" Android that is on Nexus devices. Your Samsung device has a number of modifications as part of its TouchWiz interface, so not everythin in the guides will apply to you. But hopefully the general overview will be helpful.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Oooh. Well, you're going to have fun. :) Download Kindle for Android, Evernote, Aviary photo editor, PowerAmp, DropWords, TripAdvisor City Guides, Lookout Security, just for starters. IMHO, Android works best if you're a google user, since it then integrates with Google contacts, gmail, calendar, etc. If you don't have a gmail account, you should get one. Then DL the gmail app and sign in. Then you can use things like calendar widgets and to do lists (I use Google Tasks Organizer). A great app to block spam phone calls: Mr. Number.

Hmmm. Maybe you should learn to use the phone first. :) But most people carry dozens of apps. I have a lot more, but those tend to be ones I use a lot.

Yeah that reply was in response to someone telling me to delete the facebook app I had installed. I didn't realize there were multiple facebook apps. I did at least know there are multiple apps in general! LOL

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that reply was in response to someone telling me to delete the facebook app I had installed. I didn't realize there were multiple facebook apps. I did at least know there are multiple apps in general! LOL

Aha. I hate to scare and overwhelm you but...You should see post 12 on another issue though...there may be a cost factor, obviously, but the latest and greatest is here and unless you just don't feel it's worth the money, the S5 is basically here. If it's a problem, though, whether due to carrier rules, cost or you just don't care that much, don't obsess. The S4 is a great phone and current technology. The S5 does have some advantages--like water resistance--but the difference between the two is not huge. There are a lot of threads here on the topic, and pro reviews:

http://www.cnet.com/news/comparing-the-samsung-galaxy-s5-and-the-galaxy-s4/

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Think of it as a computer that makes phone calls, not a phone that does other stuff. Rather than going to the store to buy software, you download all of it from the online "Play Store." Once you learn how to use Android (I'd start with B. Diddy's links) you can explore some of the unique features of the S4. Just getting the hang of Android will help a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007