Can't use S4 as a storage disk when connecting through USB.

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to be able to connect my S4 to my PC with the charging USB cable and it would recognize the phone and I would go to My PC and get in my phone and transfer files in and out of my phone. I can't do that anymore. PC does recognize the phone, I can see the USB icon on the notification panel, but when I go to My PC there is nothing there.

My current Android version is 4.4.2. I tried using the *#0808# code and tried several different options and none worked. I tried using Samsung Kies and nothing.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I used to be able to connect my S4 to my PC with the charging USB cable and it would recognize the phone and I would go to My PC and get in my phone and transfer files in and out of my phone. I can't do that anymore. PC does recognize the phone, I can see the USB icon on the notification panel, but when I go to My PC there is nothing there.

My current Android version is 4.4.2. I tried using the *#0808# code and tried several different options and none worked. I tried using Samsung Kies and nothing.

Well, while connecting your device to the PC a notification must be popping up on your device asking for the how to use the device i.e. either using the MTP (for using it with kies) or using it as camera (for using it like a USB device). I will say try changing it to use as the MTP device (for using it with Kies), if its still on the MTP try restarting your device !! if still that doesn't works try connecting your device using the different USB cable. :)

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I said I already tried the different methods, I tried MTP, I tried using it as camera. I restarted my phone countless amount of times. Nothing has worked. Kies wont recognize the phone either.

Richard Pierce1

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Finally solved the same problem after hours of work. A New cable did not work and then found that the phone pull down menu showed "charging" Touching on that icon brought up a menu and I selected "file transfer" and everything went back to normal. The computer now sees the files in the phone.