Galaxy S4: Mobile network dropping connection after kitkat update

anon(605125)

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had to hard reset the phone after the initial kit kat install, then after the update to kit kat the phone now drops the mobile network connection. It comes back after a restart, and picks up all the texts and calls missed. I have wiped the cache and hard reset again and it still does it. AT&T just wants to replace it with a refurbished. I want to know how that would help when the OS upgrade broke things. I have wifi on and it happens after an unknown number of hours but less than 24 always.
Thanks

AT&T I337 32GB

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I had to hard reset the phone after the initial kit kat install, then after the update to kit kat the phone now drops the mobile network connection. It comes back after a restart, and picks up all the texts and calls missed. I have wiped the cache and hard reset again and it still does it. AT&T just wants to replace it with a refurbished. I want to know how that would help when the OS upgrade broke things. I have wifi on and it happens after an unknown number of hours but less than 24 always.
Thanks

AT&T I337 32GB

Is that happening no matter where you are, or are you in a basement a lot? Or an old building with firewalls or something hard concrete etc?

anon(605125)

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Is that happening no matter where you are, or are you in a basement a lot? Or an old building with firewalls or something hard concrete etc?

Laying on my desk in an upstairs room of our split level house. Hate these intermittent problems. I didn't have connections drop and not reconnect before this update.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Laying on my desk in an upstairs room of our split level house. Hate these intermittent problems. I didn't have connections drop and not reconnect before this update.

Is that the only place it happens, or does it happen while you are outside and such?

mcheffe

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
We have two GS4's in my house. One that suffers from the exact problem described here and one that does not. Both are running Kitkat and the one that has the problem began having it after working flawlessly for 6 months prior to the Kitkat update. AT&T has swapped the GS4 hardware twice and also the sim card. Most recently the device has been wiped and no apps reinstalled and it still has the problem. And as of last night AT&T is swapping the hardware yet again after a useless 40 minute conversation with AT&T's 2nd level support trying to explain how this is unlikely to help. Has anyone found a solution for this?

As for the problem, it happens when the device is sitting idle on a desk as well as when traveling in the car to work. The problem has occurred for several months now and typically around every 24 hours. The device loses AT&T service but is otherwise functional. Attempting to place a call results in the phone app hanging and trying airplane mode doesn't change anything. Sometimes when it loses service it shows a circle with a line through it in the status bar and others it shows empty bars that never change. Once in this state it won't recover no matter where you carry it or what you do, only a reset of the device restores connectivity. The working GS4 has never seen this problem and can be right next to the failing device showing one or more bars of signal strength but the failing device doesn't connect.