Overheating message since KitKat update.

wallstreet123456

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Since updating my Galaxy S4 to Kit Kat I keep getting your phone is overheating, applications will be shut down message.

Any one else seeing this message?

TaiMaiShooToo

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I used to be able to run navigation, music and dash cam without any issues prior to kitkat. After the update it forces shut down of all apps due to overheating. And just this morning it told me I had to format my SD card. I'm not happy.

drkokandy

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got this while navigating & playing music on Bluetooth today. I thought it was just overheating due to the sun on my dashboard (it was hot today), but it's probably the same issue. I'm on Verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RockMonkey

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here, just started happening after KitKat update. Tough to use navigation for more than 10mins before the phone shuts down. I did take off the case and that seemed to help a little. That and sticking it in front of the AC vent of my car.

mykl376

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here, just started happening after KitKat update. Tough to use navigation for more than 10mins before the phone shuts down. I did take off the case and that seemed to help a little. That and sticking it in front of the AC vent of my car.

Yep, gotta stick it in front of the vent. Actually thinking of getting one of those mounts that use the vent to hold it. My S4 shut off, and when I turned it back on it was at a whopping 100F. Seems like overkill. I appreciate my phone not melting while I use it, but there should be a way to increase the temp settings, unless there is and I just haven't figured it out yet.

TaiMaiShooToo

May 8, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: This issues looks like it's fixed. I re-formatted the SD card (after kitkat reported it was corrupted) and now things seem to be back to normal. I'll report back if there are any more problems. Good luck!

ARDB531

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been getting that message the last few days (maybe longer? ) as well. How can you prevent overheating? It never overheated before this. Now it's heating up faster and more often.

Posted via Android Central App

DirtDiamonds18

May 25, 2014
Visit site
This isn't fixed... at least for me it's not. I WAS a faithful followr of Apple until ios7. I've had my SG4 since October '13 and have had sevea replaced due to issues not being solved til I received a brand new, untouched by KitKat. KitKat came, and left disaster in its wake.

Battery drain (I read a fix is coming)
Lags worse than a passenger going one way on a flight from LA to New York.
Text and keyboards... ugh! Thanks KitKat for doubling and even tripling my predictive text words and phrases.
And finally..... a hot as a pig in a slaughter house battery...

Wretched thing gets so hot it seriously burns when in my pocket. Even left a red mark! I get the cooling down notification, but the best way to kill the hotness is to flat out turn it off and leave it off for 20 minutes or so NOT plugged in or it will continue to stay warm...

Verizon was kind enough to send me a new battery and not make send the old one back. Brand new, not refurbished. Still runs hot.
Changed chargers - still hot
Killed GPS, and all tracking apps, cleared caches, uninstalled a few I just flat out dont need nor want - Still. Hot.
Talking on thr phone for any length of time - hot

I'm beyond bummed out. I miss the awesomeness of my phone being just plain awesome! Graphics and camera are still stellar which is great but aside from the camera and graphics, everything's almost useless. :'(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-09-13-48-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-09-13-48-03.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 60

fiddystorms

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
same problem. Happens when I'm using google's navigation. get's really bad when I'm charging it too. Happened directly after the Kit Kat update last month.

chubbylopez

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Samsung S3 overheating just by playing a game on phone for a few minutes (Clash of Clans). Never had this problem until I updated to Kitkat 2 days ago.

reixdb

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Samsung S3 overheating just by playing a game on phone for a few minutes (Clash of Clans). Never had this problem until I updated to Kitkat 2 days ago.

Same thing happening on an updated Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110 to Kitkat. I was playing Clash of clans and I get this message after a while. This never happened on jelly bean. Have anybody find a solution yet?

anon(4166778)

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on Verizon and feel the battery life isn't sufficient.. I've also had the overheating problem with Nav in the car.. hope they fix this with an update soon..

abestr

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Having same problem since last week, mostley when using Waze or Google Maps, but same when just in my pocket.
I dont know how long ago i was updated to KitKat but I have it now.
Did anyone find a solution, besides resetting a hard set? which takes allot of time.
Abe

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't anyone do testing before they release new versions?

Should we set up our own beta testing cloud?

Sounds like what we are doing here.

Juggernaut122

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem but was with a new S4 galaxy that automatically installed the kitkat update, so I never got to try it without the update.

I am using Verizon - what carrier are you guys using?

I got the phone and with nothing installed on it (except the default Verizon programs), tried the GPS and within 20 minutes on my dash in my phone holder, the phone gave me the overheat message and shut down.
Verizon told me I must have gotten a bad phone so gave me a new one but it did the same exact thing.

I spoke with Samsung and their tech support said they have the same phone and it does not overheat even when using it on the dash as GPS even with kitkat. He suggested that Verizon might be adding things that are causing this problem (I forgot to ask him what carrier he was using but since he was blaming verizon I presume he does not use verizon).

My motorola droid and S3 did not have this problem when using the phone in the same way. The s4 does not overhead and shut down when it is using GPS but NOT on the dashboard (unfortunately it is sort of pointless to have a GPS feature that cannot be used for GPS on the dashboard).

So, are the people who are having the problem also on Verizon?

Also, has anyone tried making some sort of sun shield to keep the sun off the phone to see if that will help prevent it from overheating?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Neongreeen64

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I am on Verizon also it started out great with little to no problems but now it's overheating at least once a day. I never saw the cooling down message on 4.3 jellybean.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie