How do I stop system update?

Jaimolynn

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
My s4 just showed up with this system update today which I'm guessing is the kit kat whatever. I was trying to cancel it somehow but I believe it is set to update at 1am. How do I permanently cancel the update? Every single time I've gotten one I have not been happy with what it did to my phn. I seem to always get the glitches and I am just finally happy with the way my phn is performing so I would like to keep it how it is. I'm sure this subject is covered somewhere in the forum but I just don't have time right now to search thru and find it. I apologize for repeating. Thanks!!

Posted via Android Central App

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jaimolynn. Unless your phone is rooted, there is no way to permanently prevent the system updates from notifying you of any updates. It will nag you until you eventually give in and update the device.

If your device is rooted, download NoBloat Free. Once installed, click on the System apps section. Once in this section, scroll down until you see SamsungUpdates.apk AND SDM.apk. Click on each and choose whether you want to Disable or Delete (with or without backup). I would recommend simply disabling the apps in the event you ever want to upgrade in the future. I performed these steps months ago and have never been bothered again. Just keep in mind, this will only work if you are rooted.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know, the only way to stop them is to root like androidcentral8450 said. All my phones are rooted and running a custom ROM and I haven't seen an OTA update in a long time.

Jaimolynn

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not very knowledgeable about all this. I'm ok to just use my phn for the things I need and none of that requires rooting. Is there a very simplified way to do it? Also is there any way to do it without losing everything on my phn?

Posted via Android Central App

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
There are usually one-click methods out there but I'm not sure if they delete anything or not. I used ODIN on my Note 3 and I believe it left my data alone so I didn't have to sign in to everything again.

Let me see what I can find.

Which S4 variant do you have?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta