Galaxy S4 Reception a Confirmed Bust.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I needed to exchange a charger at the Verizon store and I was 5th in line, so I did some research. Now, I've called Verizon Tech Support several times in the past because my coworkers, also on Verizon, using Motorola, can use their phones in my building where my S4 is DEAD. At the Verizon store, I conducted 4 side by side comparisons:
Note: Lower dBm (Decibel-milliwatts) means weaker signal. All measurements are negative numbers.

My Galaxy S4 -85 dBm
Verizon Store S4 -85 dBm
LG G2 -60 dBm
Galaxy S5 -75 dBm
Galaxy Note 3 -80 dBm

The LG G2 proved to have the strongest signal in the store (that I tested). I didn't bother doing a side by side with Motorola because I already know their radios are awesome. I had the Verizon rep physically look at the data and document my account. I got home and called customer service and explained to them that I have an unrepairable phone, validated by Verizon's S4 getting the same dBm reading as mine (eliminating a defective phone) and the stronger signal strength represented in the other three models.

So I was issued a retroactive credit of $25/month beginning January 2014 until I upgrade (June or July). Also, I'm receiving 3 GB of data but only paying for 2 GB as part of this discount. I also receive a 22% monthly service discount because of where I work. So even though I'm really unhappy with my phone, Verizon came through and offered me a fair credit.

I will say this. I own a Samsung laptop and television and I love them both. But a company as wealthy as Samsung should allocate R&D funds into radio development. The Nexus sucked, my S4 is pretty bad, and even the S5 and Note 3 I compared at the store couldn't come close to LG.

I'm hoping that LG announces Verizon as a G3 carrier at the end of the month conference.

Last edited:

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I got :
Galaxy S4 - 97
iPhone 5s - 75

Once test Motorola devices, would love to see the Strength

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I got :
Galaxy S4 - 97
iPhone 5s - 75

Once test Motorola devices, would love to see the Strength

It's sad that the iPhone is getting that much better reception considering iOS and Samsung are pretty much the most cunning wireless device competitors.

Posted via Android Central App

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It's sad that the iPhone is getting that much better reception considering iOS and Samsung are pretty much the most cunning wireless device competitors.

Bluetooth quality is much better on 5s.....

Call Quality is pretty much same (haven't found much difference tbh)

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It's a well known fact that Samsung and Apple both use Qualcomm radios.
(Not in mine but your quad core)

It has to do more about design rather than hardware itself

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It's a well known fact that Samsung and Apple both use Qualcomm radios.
(Not in mine but your quad core)

It has to do more about design rather than hardware itself

Well, whatever Apple is doing, Samsung needs to make some strategic quality moves. It's not all about the speedy software!

FRoStYisGoD

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep pretty much known fact that any Samsung phones sucks for reception. If that's what your looking for them Motorola or blackberry are where you need to go. Also looking at your stats LG as well.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep pretty much known fact that any Samsung phones sucks for reception. If that's what your looking for them Motorola or blackberry are where you need to go. Also looking at your stats LG as well.

The LG G3 is likely going to be my next phone unless the Sony Xperia Z2 comes to America and has mind-blowing features I don't know about.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
G3 ? Good luck with LG's support........
Their skin is even more bad boy than Touchwiz.

They didn't update Optimus G still afaik

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
G3 ? Good luck with LG's support........
Their skin is even more bad boy than Touchwiz.

They didn't update Optimus G still afaik

Low end devices sometimes get overlooked. The LG G2 continues to impress. You hardly ever hear about a complaint from that phone.

Companies change direction. LG is hell bent on proving their product is superior. And the G2 technically is. The G3 will just be simply amazing if they quit floundering and commit to 3GB RAM. Otherwise, packed with an 805 chip, this phone will have wings. And when my phone has given me problems, I don't contact the manufacturer, I go directly to Verizon and they handle it.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, if that's not a problem for you, LG is good choice.

Android silver phone is rumored to come in 2015 starting, which will have support from google and launch in T-Mobile (i am not sure)

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, if that's not a problem for you, LG is good choice.

Android silver phone is rumored to come in 2015 starting, which will have support from google and launch in T-Mobile (i am not sure)

There are a couple of rumored devices expected to be released late this year, but I simply can't wait that long with my reception and battery issues. I'd be very interested to include the Note 4 in my selection, but we won't see that phone until September, at the earliest, in my opinion. And I'm sure it will be a software beast. But, given it is still a Samsung, and every Samsung I've owned has been a major disappointment, I'd probably pass up the Note 4.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Why not Buy moto g or Lumia 525 temporarily and buy good device later ?

Cost, mainly. I'm eligible to upgrade now and receive the discounted price. If I upgrade to any other device now, I'll be obligated to pay full price for another new phone for two years. I'd rather just put up with the S4 problems until June when the LG G3 Is expected to go on sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair