Wifi very slow download speeds

08silveradoonrims

May 26, 2012
Visit site
After the update my phone did recently I've noticed that my home wifi download speeds are extremely slow, 3-4mbps. When I turn the wifi off and test my LTE (Verizon) I'm around 11-13mbps. I hardwired my laptop to my router and did a test and was getting 56mbps. Also tested my wife's iPhone 5s on wifi and she was getting 31-32mbps. So after doing all these tests I went over to my friends condo right down the street and got on his wifi and was getting 36mbps. Got back home and did another speedtest on my phone connected to my wifi and I'm still at 3-4mbps. What would cause such slow download speed?? I've tried turning my phone off and on numerous times and nothing has changed...

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
After the update my phone did recently I've noticed that my home wifi download speeds are extremely slow, 3-4mbps. When I turn the wifi off and test my LTE (Verizon) I'm around 11-13mbps. I hardwired my laptop to my router and did a test and was getting 56mbps. Also tested my wife's iPhone 5s on wifi and she was getting 31-32mbps. So after doing all these tests I went over to my friends condo right down the street and got on his wifi and was getting 36mbps. Got back home and did another speedtest on my phone connected to my wifi and I'm still at 3-4mbps. What would cause such slow download speed?? I've tried turning my phone off and on numerous times and nothing has changed...

Sent from my Galaxy s4

I went through this too; almost to the point of shipping my phone back to Samsung because my Nexus was downloading exponentially faster than my S4. The day I received my shipping label, my download speeds returned to normal. Totally unexplainable.

Posted via Android Central App

08silveradoonrims

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I went through this too; almost to the point of shipping my phone back to Samsung because my Nexus was downloading exponentially faster than my S4. The day I received my shipping label, my download speeds returned to normal. Totally unexplainable.

Posted via Android Central App

Hopefully something changes soon. I'm gonna call bb tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Sent from my Galaxy s4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy s4

So...normal download speeds elsewhere, but not at your house? And at your house it's only your phone having the problem?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Haven't tried that... yet! It's like the router isn't communicating with my phone due to some interference or glitch in software

Sent from my Galaxy s4

If it's only happening at your house, it's likely your router. Try resetting it and then setting up the connection again on your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

08silveradoonrims

May 26, 2012
Visit site
As soon as my wife gets done doing some business on the internet I will reset the router and hope for the best! Basically unplug it and plug it back in, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy s4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As soon as my wife gets done doing some business on the internet I will reset the router and hope for the best! Basically unplug it and plug it back in, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Correct. You can also force "n only" and see if it makes a difference.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Correct. You can also force "n only" and see if it makes a difference.

First of all, we don't even know the make and model of the router. It may not even be a wireless N, meaning the lower speeds are explained because his phone is being forced to use G or B. If it is a Wireless N router, Forcing N only is a very bad suggestion, considering the OP may have other wireless devices that are G or even B. We don't know, so if that is the case, forcing N will allow ONLY N wireless devices to work, and if the OP has others they will cease to connect. Also forcing N would make no difference in regards to your issue. Either way, the first thing you need to check is your routers make and model. If if does support Wireless N, continue with the instructions below. If it's a Wireless B or G, that is your issue, your phone is not getting the best speeds because your router is older and doesn't support N.

As for resetting. I would do a complete power cycle. Which would be doing the following in this order.

* Shut down all PCs/MACS on your network.
* Unplug your modem and router ( If your modem has a battery back up remove the battery before unplugging )
* Plug your modem back in FIRST. Making sure you get a solid ONLINE or CABLE light, depending on the make and model of the modem.
* Once your modem is ONLINE, plug in your router
* Turn on your PCs/MAC and reboot your phone

Do the above in that exact order. If you are still having speeds issues. You may want to visit your router manufactures support page and download a firmware upgrade if it's available.

08silveradoonrims

May 26, 2012
Visit site
My router is the modem/router 2 in 1 that comcast provides. It's a few months old.
aqerena4.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy s4

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Reset the router and still the same situation. Not even getting 4mbps on my download speeds. Upload is good to go

Sent from my Galaxy s4

I would contact Comcast. I doubt this has ANYTHING to do with your phone. Maybe the router config is SET for wireless B and since your PC is direct connect you aren't noticing it, not sure but I doubt it's the phone. I used to work for Comcast. I would NOT be surprised if it's on their end

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
First of all, we don't even know the make and model of the router. It may not even be a wireless N, meaning the lower speeds are explained because his phone is being forced to use G or B. If it is a Wireless N router, Forcing N only is a very bad suggestion, considering the OP may have other wireless devices that are G or even B. We don't know, so if that is the case, forcing N will allow ONLY N wireless devices to work, and if the OP has others they will cease to connect. Also forcing N would make no difference in regards to your issue. Either way, the first thing you need to check is your routers make and model. If if does support Wireless N, continue with the instructions below. If it's a Wireless B or G, that is your issue, your phone is not getting the best speeds because your router is older and doesn't support N.

As for resetting. I would do a complete power cycle. Which would be doing the following in this order.

* Shut down all PCs/MACS on your network.
* Unplug your modem and router ( If your modem has a battery back up remove the battery before unplugging )
* Plug your modem back in FIRST. Making sure you get a solid ONLINE or CABLE light, depending on the make and model of the modem.
* Once your modem is ONLINE, plug in your router
* Turn on your PCs/MAC and reboot your phone

Do the above in that exact order. If you are still having speeds issues. You may want to visit your router manufactures support page and download a firmware upgrade if it's available.

Setting it to N would be a simple setting and changing it back would be simple as well. It doesn't hurt to try. I know it made quite a bit of a difference for me forcing it to N. Obviously non N devices can't connect but it doesn't hurt to try to see what happens. It might not make a difference but spending the 5 minutes to try doesn't hurt. It certainly isn't going to cause any damage and is easily reversible

newbee12345

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
My wife and daughter are going through the same thing, I have an iPhone 5s and I'm getting 35 on the download and wife's and daughters are barely hitting 4 consistently and I have Comcast. In reading posts from below how is this a router issue when another device is receiving much better speeds than the other?

Please help us

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy s4

I'm having the exact same issue with my S4. All of my devices are new enough that they run the n speeds. My download speeds are the same as yours. I've tried multiple resets with the gateway device, I've exchanged the gateway twice (the first exchange yielded a defective gateway), and I've gone in and changed the channel, performing speed tests on multiple devices to pick the optimal channel. My laptop, running on wi-fi averages about 30 Mbps down, my wife's desktop (wired) runs in excess of 50 Mbps down. Also in the household are three other smart phones (Moto X, S3, and S5), and four tablets, they ALL download in excess of 30 Mbps. I have Comcast internet service, I have the exact same gateway device as the OP, I have the Comcast Blast! service speeds. I've been going crazy trying to figure this out, what I haven't done yet is try out the speeds on another router. I've pretty much decided that it is a compatibility issue with the router; I found a forum last night that addressed this and there were several people with similar issues. They changed routers and the problem went away. So today, I intend to find another router or two to access and check speeds. If my DL speeds increase, I'm probably going to get rid of my Comcast supplied gateway and replace it with a new modem and router (I'm tired of paying the rental fee anyway).