Upgraded SD Card, several apps are now grayed out w/ SD icon, all else is fine...

Sasha REX

May 27, 2014
Visit site
So both SD cards were formatted in the phone under kitkat 4.4.2. I copied the entire card to HDD (computer), put in the new card (samsung EVO 32) formatted it and copied the card back from the HDD to the new one (merging the two folders made by the format). I have all pics, music, contacts, videos, but many apps (mostly games i think, but other games work fine don't know if they use SD) just have the gray android SD icon and won't launch. Where did I go wrong? I know I can just reinstall them, but I was gonna root first before i did that. you have to reinstall everything after root anyway right? Anyway I still have both the original card (ADATA 8gb, used in a few phones) which didn't work right in the s4, until i did this same process and formatted it in the S4) and the backup on the computer. Cards don't read right unless they are being read from inside the s4, but i'm guessing that universal.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
SOme of it had to have been though. In some way, otherwise, you would have been able to launch them. Is reinstalling them an option?

Sasha REX

May 27, 2014
Visit site
SOme of it had to have been though. In some way, otherwise, you would have been able to launch them. Is reinstalling them an option?
The card was there before the DL'd apps. Reinstalling is the easy way out. I want to know what I did wrong. I like to be able to swap cards, and I copied everything so both cards would have the same base data. The only thing I can think of is that the drive formats are different so something screwed up, but that's thin. Maybe when I formatted the new card, I should have wiped whatever the phone put on it, instead of merging the two folders with the same names that appeared as a result of the in phone format.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The card was there before the DL'd apps. Reinstalling is the easy way out. I want to know what I did wrong. I like to be able to swap cards, and I copied everything so both cards would have the same base data. The only thing I can think of is that the drive formats are different so something screwed up, but that's thin. Maybe when I formatted the new card, I should have wiped whatever the phone put on it, instead of merging the two folders with the same names that appeared as a result of the in phone format.

Unfortunately, I do not have that answer. I can't think of any reason why it did this, as it has been a while since I had a device with an external SD card.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't say about that either. I haven't had an SD card on a device with KitKat.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Gav508

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had same issue happen to me before. If they are self made shortcut icons just delete and remake the shortcut. If they the actual App icons I found reinstalling the app worked.

I upgraded from 32 gb SD card to 64 gb also copying files to computer and then back to new card. That when my icons did same.

I sort of remember with a couple of the apps I went through Application Manager and moved a couple of the affected apps back to device memory from sd card and then moved the app back to card.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech