No Sound on Phone Calls after using Bluetooth

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
DITTO - I wish I would have come across this a few months ago. I ended up taking my original S4 back to AT&T and getting 2 replacements. My problem is not as horrible as it once was...it only occurs about once a week, whereas it used to happen daily, almost hourly.
Prior to reading this thread, I thought the culprit was Waze GPS app - an app that I love and truly enjoy and therefore, never turly gave it up. My issues now (with my last replacement S4) only occur randomly. I hope your solution will solve it once and for all!

Sidebar - if you really want to use OK Google and don't want to enable the feature MAYBE you might consider using Nova Launcher Free...it allows the OK Google phrase to be used even though I have it disabled in under "Ok Google Detection" in Google Now settings. Just a thought...not sure it won't re-create the problem.

Mekanikel

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank god I found this thread. Unfortunately I didn't associate it to a bluetooth problem when it first happened last week as I had a working phonecall before it went silent. Backed up and factory restored my Galaxy S4. That worked but then again today I attached my bluetooth and after one good call, no sound again. This time I knew it was my bluetooth headset. They need to fix OK Google. Now have it disabled and all good. Thanks for the fix.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
DITTO - I wish I would have come across this a few months ago. I ended up taking my original S4 back to AT&T and getting 2 replacements. My problem is not as horrible as it once was...it only occurs about once a week, whereas it used to happen daily, almost hourly.
Prior to reading this thread, I thought the culprit was Waze GPS app - an app that I love and truly enjoy and therefore, never turly gave it up. My issues now (with my last replacement S4) only occur randomly. I hope your solution will solve it once and for all!

Sidebar - if you really want to use OK Google and don't want to enable the feature MAYBE you might consider using Nova Launcher Free...it allows the OK Google phrase to be used even though I have it disabled in under "Ok Google Detection" in Google Now settings. Just a thought...not sure it won't re-create the problem.

Crap. It just happened again today!
Question - in the Google Now settings there are 2 selections under "OK Google detection".
- Do I need to disable both? ("From Google Search App" AND "From any screen"?)

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Crap. It just happened again today!
Question - in the Google Now settings there are 2 selections under "OK Google detection".
- Do I need to disable both? ("From Google Search App" AND "From any screen"?)
I only disabled "From any screen". I have "From Google Search app" still enabled and do not have any issues with this.

gene7oh

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Trying the solution now.
Have had the settings changed for 1/2hr with no issues.
How long have you gone without incident?
Will be checking back on the thread periodically.
and thanx for your sharing. seems to be the solution until google gets on the ball.

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Trying the solution now.
and thanx for your sharing. seems to be the solution until google gets on the ball.

Haven't had the issue return since July.

gene7oh

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Outstanding.
T-mobile got caught with their britches down on this one.
We got 3 replacement phones thru the insurance then 1 new phones thru the upgrade dept.
Went thru 2 tecks to do it. both were very diligent in their attempts to resolve the issue. The last teck was the one that found your thread. Me and the first teck did every kind of combination of words to get a result and never come up with one. And boom this guy hits it first time outta the box. Glad he did and thanx again. will be checking back.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Trying the solution now.

I'm on day #3 since re-booting, however I seem to have some other underlying problem or conflict that causes it to surface randomly. I really try hard to analyze exactly what was happening at the time and what apps i had recently used. On the Bright side, its tremendously better than previous experience.

bward11

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This isn't just a T-Mobile issue. It's happening on my Verizon S4. Trying the fix suggested above. Finger crossed. Hope they get it fixed in Lollipop. I love OK Google.

jza95

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
HOLY F-ing crap!!! Turning off Ok Google from any screen works!!!!. I updated my AT&T S4 about a week ago to 4.4.4 and have been having issues. I wiped my phone this weekend and that didn't fix it either. I called AT&T and Samsung just today and they couldn't help either. I would have to pay $100 to get another phone and who knows if that will fix the issue or not. I'm about 6 months away from upgrading (S6 will be out by then) so didn't want to pay for anything. So freaking happy now!!!

rpit

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this. Been having this problem for quite some time and just like everyone else, I was very frustrated. Love Google Now and Bluetooth in my car...I drive a LOT. Couple of things: first, does everyone have an exchange account through your employer? I tried working with our IT department and they insisted it wasn't anything on their end. VZW said the same, however, when I deleted the exchange account (and all the subsequent security stuff) I couldn't reproduce the problem. Now, going without work emails on my GS4 is not an option. Just wondering.

Second, I further tested Rirruto's settings and have found that I was able to keep Google Now on and then messed with the Voice settings. Under "Ok Google" detection, I am able to have the "From Google Search app" checked and be able to successfully make calls. However, when I checked "From Any Screen", the Audio History is automatically turned on and there becomes the problem. For now, I am able to use Google Now and Bluetooth without issues. Hoping it keeps working...

TBsnghart

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Hit the button on the bottom of the phone. A menu will appear on the bottom: Task Manager Google Close All. Hit the Google selection. Hit the menu button on the left next to the bottom button and up comes Settings. Hit the Voice choice. You will see "OK Google" detection. Uncheck from Any Screen.
I'm sure there's another way, but that's how I did it.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I continue to randomly have challenges with this issue...but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it. Thankfully I came across another source of information that i will try: Samsung Galaxy S4 Problems, Issues, Errors, Glitches and Solutions [Part 50] Click on the section titled: People Can’t Hear Owner While On Call With Galaxy S4
It may take a few days for my problem to resurface but when it does i will try their tip and report back.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

gman0417

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I've been having the same problems since the summer. I thought it was the phone. My carrier sent me two replacements. They couldn't resolve it. It started after the update to 4.4.2. Hopefully Lollipop will fix it.

Henry Reeve

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!! Turning off Google OK works!

After several days without sound on calls turning off Google OK has solved the problem!

Thanks for the help.

kwest12

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to report this, but I've tried turning off OK Google (I even uninstalled Google Now, but this doesn't fix the issue.) I've wiped cache and dalvik cache and rebooted a lot. Still nothing, although every once in a while right after rebooting I can make calls normally. Anyone come up with any other fixes?

ziels12

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue....even after resetting my phone, once I paired it via bluetooth with my car, the sound stopped once again. I noticed you said you disabled OK Google, but how exactly do you do this? I can't find the settings for it anywhere :( I'm not a tech person.

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Like the others , this problem has been driving me crazy. I was going to dump the s4 and get an iPhone because my wifes phone worked(no OK Google) all the time in my car.
I can not thank you enough. Its forums like this and guys like you that take the time to post their "finds" to help others that makes things easier for the rest of us.
Thanks