08-08-2018 04:15 PM
105 12345
tools
    wow! that worked. Thanks !!
    06-21-2015 10:08 PM
    I joined just so i could thank you for sharing this info, you saved me a lot of aggravation. All i had to do was quickly and repetively click the button for several seconds to see a little bit of gunk fall out and now the phone and I are happy again
    06-24-2015 03:52 AM
    Like others I joined to say thank you!! I'm out of town and just knew I would be without my phone until I was able to get to a verizon store or back home. The tapping did the trick.

Tip: Be patient with the tapping. It took me over 30 minutes of tapping to finally get it to work. I was just about to quit and go buy some tools to take the phone apart and then like magic, those last few taps did the trick.
    06-26-2015 06:31 PM
    thank you! it worked!
    06-28-2015 08:59 AM
    NOPE! I know what's wrong everyone. It is the power button. it is stuck in. therefore when you take out the batter and put it back it, the button is already pushed in causing it to turn on by itself. But since it turns on the button is still pushed in causing it to turn off immediately. SOLUTION: take the phone and put it sideways where the power button is facing down on a table or some flat surface and don't slam it! but lightly hit it maybe a couple of times and the button will come unstuck. The phone should turn on by itself but the button isn't stuck so it will turn on perfectly fine. I am having the same problem right now actually and it is very frustrating but if do this then it should work.
    THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! With just 5 light taps on the table, it worked for me! <3
    06-29-2015 10:31 PM
    So my Galaxy S4 turned off randomly today during charge. I attempted turning it back on via the power button and it would not respond.

Then I tried taking out the battery and replacing it, the device vibrates with the Galaxy S4 logo showing up for about a couple seconds, then the screen goes blank again.

I even tried placing a battery from a different S4 - still doesn't work.

Anybody know what's wrong with my device?
    I have the same problem
    06-30-2015 09:56 PM
    Like others I joined to say thank you!! I disassembled S4, blow to remove dust, then I started to pres power button until phone turn on. Thank you again.
    07-11-2015 08:07 AM
    NOPE! I know what's wrong everyone. It is the power button. it is stuck in. therefore when you take out the batter and put it back it, the button is already pushed in causing it to turn on by itself. But since it turns on the button is still pushed in causing it to turn off immediately. SOLUTION: take the phone and put it sideways where the power button is facing down on a table or some flat surface and don't slam it! but lightly hit it maybe a couple of times and the button will come unstuck. The phone should turn on by itself but the button isn't stuck so it will turn on perfectly fine. I am having the same problem right now actually and it is very frustrating but if do this then it should work.
    You are the man! I created an account just to thank you!
    i georgalis likes this.
    07-14-2015 09:58 PM
    Thank you, this has been very helpful indeed.

Just wanted to share my story in the hopes that it helps anyone who has tried this thread's suggestions with limited success:

When this issue first happened to me I came across this message board. The cause made sense to me and the trick of laying phone on its side and lightly tapping worked (sometimes). So I thought, I should just take it to a professional, to clean or replace the power switch, and I'll be fine.

Imagine my surprise when not one, but two independent repair guys tell me it's absolutely not the power button (the first cleaned it, the second tried replacing it). Neither of them could tell me the underlying issue, they thought it could be firmware which made absolutely no sense to me.

Rather than doing a factory reset, I went to a third technician and asked him to dig deeper. Turns out the problem was that two resistors leading to the power switch were blown. He replaced those resistors and now the phone works normally again. I paid £30 but it was well worth it.
    08-04-2015 11:26 AM
    you sir have saved my s4 thank you the button was stuck i hitted it a bit with a flat surface and it works perfectly thank you
    08-05-2015 09:18 PM
    I suspected the power button, but i didn't think to clean it. Thank you this just saved me some solder work.
    08-19-2015 06:20 PM
    I did this and used an air bottle.. and this worked for me.. I cant believe this is even an issue.
    09-06-2015 05:03 PM
    The power button was the issue for me, it was getting stuck and that's why it would show the logo for 2 seconds and then shut off when putting the battery in. Power button must be going out on it.
    09-18-2015 07:33 AM
    Worked for me too!Thank you SO much!
    09-21-2015 06:58 PM
    Tapping the phone "on" button on the table worked right away. Thank you!
    10-05-2015 08:33 AM
    Yes its the power button stuck down and if u have a soft, thick cover, its probably causing u to push the lock / power button at an angle, after so many hundreds of times doing this it will stick. Get a hard fitting case that allows better access to the buttons to avoid this in the future
    10-05-2015 09:38 PM
    Thank you so much!!! I just took a pen and taped on the button firmly a couple times. I thought I'd need a new phone!!
    10-06-2015 06:17 AM
    Amazing, this worked for me!

My power button didn't look stuck, it didn't feel stuck, but it was. I lightly tapped the phone on its side and now I can turn on the phone without it turning off =)
    10-12-2015 08:21 AM
    Thanks Carlos Tores,hitting it while the power button was resting on a hard surface worked,saved me a new phone and a lot of grief,you're a gentleman.
    11-01-2015 04:48 AM
    HOLY CRAP!
    I want to thank you so much for figuring out the solution to the problem. I was freaking out because it wasn't working and on the verge of taking it apart and/or getting a new phone. Thank you so much. My phone is working perfectly!
    11-01-2015 09:34 AM

This actually worked! I'm so happy - thought I was going to have to get a new phone! Thank you soooo much!
    11-02-2015 05:33 AM
    i have a note edge, but whenever i try to turn it on the phone turns off when samsung logo comes. can anyone help me?
    11-12-2015 09:17 AM
    It may be the same issue with the power button. This thread saved my phone many many thanks.
    11-16-2015 04:02 PM
    Had this same problem over the weekend. Hate that phone. I just broke the damn thing in half and tossed it in the trash. I am so over Samsung phones. Back to iPhone.
    11-30-2015 04:04 PM
    what do you mean by rip the power switch off?
    12-07-2015 11:23 PM
105 12345