Google Play Music keeps re-downloading music to device

Paul Stamp

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

My S4 has started behaving oddly over the last couple of days. When I woke up on Thursday there seemed to be a lot of applications updating. Then I noticed that Google Play Music was downloading a load of albums that I had already downloaded. In total it downloaded 7gb of music. This morning I woke up and it had queued up all the music to download again.

Luckily I'm on an uncapped broadband account but it slows everything else down while its downloading.

Anyone else had this problem, or could it be a problem with the SD card?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

My S4 has started behaving oddly over the last couple of days. When I woke up on Thursday there seemed to be a lot of applications updating. Then I noticed that Google Play Music was downloading a load of albums that I had already downloaded. In total it downloaded 7gb of music. This morning I woke up and it had queued up all the music to download again.

Luckily I'm on an uncapped broadband account but it slows everything else down while its downloading.

Anyone else had this problem, or could it be a problem with the SD card?
Have you checked through the Music App settings to see if there is a setting enabled that would automatically start downloading albums? Also, go into system settings > accounts > google > music. Make sure it's not checked to sync (if it is).

Let us know how it goes.

anon(9050874)

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue on my Xperia Z2. I have my removable sd card selected as the storage location as the phone doesn't have enough capacity.

Happens very often too, wondering if it's to do with a recent update?

Posted via the Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Have you checked through the Music App settings to see if there is a setting enabled that would automatically start downloading albums? Also, go into system settings > accounts > google > music. Make sure it's not checked to sync (if it is).

Let us know how it goes.

I'm confused. Google Music should be set to sync, but it should NOT be downloading music that you did not tell it to store locally.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this same issue. I'll see that Google Play Music is re-downloading a bunch of albums which are already present on the device. I only have GPM set to download while I'm on wi-fi, so it's not eating my data allocation for the download, but I'm concerned that it may be choosing to stream songs, which would use data allocation, instead of playing them from local storage. Can anyone explain this bizarre behavior?

pink3birdy

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Has anyine found a solution? Mine is doing the same thing, but i keep seeing n my notifications on my note4 that " music downloaad is complete" it does this often and i dont que anything for download

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Happening to me, too. Having to keep the option on to only download on wifi because of this. Planning to contact Google today.

Sent from my Sprint LG G4 using Tapatalk.

kreaturen

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Ressurection! This is happening to me now. Started happening a few days ago. The app wouldn't start playing a list while I was driving. I took a quick glance, and saw that the list was no longer stored locally. When I got home I saw that all my downloaded lists were affected. They were either grey or partially downloaded... The app was busy downloading. Three days later, still downloading. It won't get past 94 percent. Well, it gets to 95, but falls immediately back to 94.

Edit: Just had a chat with Google play music support. Something had gone wrong with the app locally. Had to go to system settings>apps>play music>uninstall updates>confirm. Reset the phone (just in case). Seems to have done the trick

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol