Galaxy S4 GT-i9500 4.4.2 kitkat (my experience so far)

jellykitkat12

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, I'm new to Android Central. This thread is about "my experience on kitkat update so far", and sorry if I put this in a wrong section, I didn't want to bump older posts.

So, I've seen many complains about this update and I was desperate whether to install or not. I eventually chose to try it out, as you can see. It's been over a month since I bought the S4 (was 4.3 when I bought it) and 2 weeks since I updated, and so far this is what I got:
-performance improvements
-slight battery improvement (although at the beginning I had battery drain and Android System using 40% percent and Android OS System at the 2nd place on the list, now my screen scores 50% which I've heard it's normal)
-better benchmark score (from about 25k to about 28k)
-no problems related to SD card (can move, view and save anything to it, about what others were complaining as a "known issue").
-my brightness option at the notification bar didn't disappear, and my brightness is as normal as before (another "known issue")

I'm somewhat glad with the update (even if it doesn't change anything much, it's because of TouchWiz i guess), as I've also got an ability to choose my default apps (messaging and launcher, many people said that Google removed Samsung's stock messaging app and "replaced it with Hangouts only") and when I'm using GPS, I can choose between battery-related mods (and I've also seen the GPS icon not changed since the update). I'm also glad with the RAM needed for kitkat to run, I assume that's why my performance improved so much.

The only things I'm sad about are the white icons on the notification bar, but I got used to it. The transparent bar adds up to this.

EDIT: This is what I did prior to and after the update:
-removed the SD card
-did a factory reset
-made sure that after reset I skip everything that can be skipped
-downloaded and installed the update to 4.4.2 and the minor update after it
-did an fdr again
-put everything I needed after startup
-turned off the phone
-removed battery for 30 secs
-put battery and SD back
-went into recovery mode and wiped cache. Smooth and special as always. :D

Feel free to reply with your experience with 4.4.2 update. Again sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Last edited:

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation like yours, very pleased with Kit kat, no issues so far. Very stable, even discarded the idea of rooting for flashing different roms to the phone because of the stability I have (as well with older versions of the firmware).

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

jellykitkat12

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, alexcolka, I would never choose root if I don't have any problems, such as not being able to move things to SD card etc.

Do u have any battery saver?

Posted via the Android Central App

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Agree completely.

About battery savers, I stay away for that kind of apps as they do the opposite in my case because of the constant monitoring and scanning features of that apps.

jellykitkat12

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Agree completely.

About battery savers, I stay away for that kind of apps as they do the opposite in my case because of the constant monitoring and scanning features of that apps.

Sorry for late response.

I have JuiceDefender and it does a good job for me, so I don't intend to uninstall it. Maybe u should try it too.

One of the things that really concern me now is if I should install an antivirus or not. I've actually installed TrustGo as I've heard that it normally doesn't drain much battery and eat a lot of RAM. Installed it because I'm playing Top Eleven and some other games where I can download apps for free bonuses (like tokens, coins, etc.)
Very curious about your opinion on AV.

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Good to know it works great for you. About av I don't use them, so I'm not sure about those kind of apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20