Photo locations on S4

nlesloop

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Was trying to backup my photos from S4 to PC and noticed that they are stored in 2 different locations.
Photos taken by camera app are in /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera.
I use the Gallery app to group them into albums and these albums/folders are located in /storage/emulated/0/Pictures.

Is there a way for the Camera and Gallery apps to use the same location?
Also, I want to install a microSD card and store all my photos on it. I know you can tell the camera to use the
external SD card, but will Gallery still keep the albums in the internal memory instead of the SD card?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Was trying to backup my photos from S4 to PC and noticed that they are stored in 2 different locations.
Photos taken by camera app are in /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera.
I use the Gallery app to group them into albums and these albums/folders are located in /storage/emulated/0/Pictures.

Is there a way for the Camera and Gallery apps to use the same location?
Also, I want to install a microSD card and store all my photos on it. I know you can tell the camera to use the
external SD card, but will Gallery still keep the albums in the internal memory instead of the SD card?
Photos should all be located within one folder unless you are making a copy and creating albums in other folders/storage locations.

Are you making a copy of the images rather than moving to the desired folder? Otherwise, I don't think there is a way to specific the camera app from putting images into a specific folder. Rather, it may only be able to store in a default folder in the sd card or internal memory.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The system scans all storage areas for images (as long as there isn't a ".nomedia" file in a given folder). If it finds an image, it will show up in the Gallery, listed in that particular folder. So you could create folders anywhere in the user-accessible storage, and they will show up in the Gallery app as long as there are photos in there.

You can't change the default storage folder where the stock camera saves photos--it will always be /DCIM/Camera. Other 3rd party cameras (like Camera Zoom FX, for example) will save their photos in a different folder specific to that app.

If you transfer a lot of photos to a microSD card, they will show up in your Gallery, but will remain on the SD card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol