V 4.4.2 Random Reboot Problem

Aldo123

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the UK and on the EE network. About 4 days ago I got the software update notification which I accepted. After the update the phone now randomly reboots for no reason. I know it not the battery as it has recently been replaced and its fine. The first time it happened was half an hour after the update was complete and I have not installed any apps since. I tried wiping the cache partition which at first I thought solved the issue but it did not.

The settings screen says Android v 4.4.2

When is the next update out or is there a fix/workaround for this?
Thanks for any help in advance guys.

(I also posted this issue in the ask a question section, no solution as of yet)

Aldo123

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok I tried wiping the cache partition. When I did that the yellow text at the bottom left of the screen said complete. When I then went and selected reboot, the android symbol in the centre of the screen said Error! below in grey letters before the device restarted. Is that a problem?

P.s The phone is still rebooting at random.

Last edited:

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm also with EE in the UK & haven't had any update come through on my phone. You say you replaced the battery is it an official Samsung battery?

Posted via Android Central App

Aldo123

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I got my phone from Phones4u in December and in a couple of months later went back as it had swollen. They went through the back and got me a new battery for free, its 100% official Samsung. I don't know if it matters but I'm on a 4G contract.

s4randomreboot

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem here, it seems to have started after a software update. I'm also in the UK on T-mobile (part of EE): The version reported is 4.4.2 on the settings screen. I've tried removing the SD card, but crashes still occur. All my apps are up to date.

This is absolutely infuriating: If anyone has any ideas as to what this is, I'd love to hear them. Note: I'm a software developer, so I'm comfortable running debugging tools, posting logs from the device etc. Please tell me what would help to diagnose this and I'll provide it.

Aldo123

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Tell me about it. I have wiped the cache partition 20 times and still no success. I fear a factory reset may be needed but I really don't want to go down that route. Its a last resort but I've had this issue for days now.

antcenrom

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not the only one facing this problem. I'm also in the UK and same thing happens to me after the 4.2.2 update some days ago. My phone keeps freezing the screen and then rebooting. Even if I'm just listening to music it keeps rebooting. This is really annoying. I cannot even listen to music in a train!

Any idea how to get around this? Do we need to wait for an update? Once I finally fix this, I will consider it twice before upgrading android next time. Upgrades are not supposed to ruin your device but to improve it!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe all this rebooting is part of the kitkat update? Or maybe try using your phone's in safe mode to see if any third party apps are causing your phone's to reboot. I'm on kitkat & all I get is the android system using over 20% battery with another app every now & then. Sometimes run hot too.

Posted via Android Central App

antcenrom

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Definitely all this rebooting is part of the 4.2.2 update, since all of us have this in common (reboots after the update).

I tried wiping out the cache, and also tried booting in safe mode, but the reboots happen even then :/

Aldo123

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Without a shadow of a doubt it is to do with the 4.2.2 update. Why the hell cant they just release them all at the same time. I am having to charge my phone more often now as it keeps rebooting meaning that all this extra charging will likely F##k my battery. It really bakes my grapes.

antcenrom

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I think it might be something related to connections. When I use the phone with Flight mode enabled it works fine (you can activate WIFI when in flight mode), so this makes the phone a bit more usable at home. I can at least play music now!

antcenrom

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok, Samsung replied and advised me to do a factory data reset, which I did and seemed *so far* to fix the issue. On the down side, I didn't seem to save every picture, I moved everything to the SD card and the newly installed apps replaced the folders there :(

So, if you get too desperate like me, give Factory reset a go!

flux007

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I registered here just to share how I fixed the random reboot problem on my note2 after updating to 4.4.2. I removed the battery then waited for around 20s before putting it back in. No more random reboots for me after that! I hope this helps someone else fix their issue.

Bill gc

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This solved the problem of random rebooting definitely in my case:
1. I've wiped out all files and folders containing title KNOX (not just freeze)
2. I've installed Xposed Installer
3. I've installed brilliant Samsung Kitkat Systemserver crash fix module from Thomas Hofmann.
4. After a few minutes this module announced that program, causing reboot, is a notification of connection of headphones (I do not remember the exact name). In other cases it may be another proces, but you will specify his name.
5. This sub-program I've found and deleted completely from system.
6. From that time not one random reboot for several weeks

kuocchang2000

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a much simpler solution that works for me. In Connection > Wi-Fi, tap Wi-Fi > uncheck "Smart network switch" (Automatically switch between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable Internet connection).

The problem is apparently caused by Android 4.4.2 software problem when Wi-Fi connection is off and the device has this bug and keeps rebooting itself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol