09-15-2014 06:08 AM
33 12
tools
    So idk what's going on but all of a sudden, my searches are being saved again....I don't have anything turned on so it shouldn't be saving them. Is anybody else having this issue??

My phone was having storage issues so I uninstalled all updates to Google Chrome so I can install an update onto one of my other apps. I reinstalled all the updates to google chrome but now it is saving stuff again even though I logged in with my account so it should have all the old settings.
    09-05-2014 03:18 AM
    You'd need to go into Settings, Accounts. There are a bunch of menus/sub menus where you'd turn off saving searches and other data retention and collection.
    09-05-2014 04:34 AM
    You'd need to go into Settings, Accounts. There are a bunch of menus/sub menus where you'd turn off saving searches and other data retention and collection.
    I don't have anything turned on though....
    09-05-2014 02:05 PM
    I don't have anything turned on though....
    It's on by default if you have any Google accounts. It's opt out rather than opt in and different from the online Dashboard.
    09-06-2014 02:07 AM
    It's on by default if you have any Google accounts. It's opt out rather than opt in and different from the online Dashboard.
    I've tried to go to the settings to turn them off but they all say they are off and they ask me to turn it on....
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    09-06-2014 03:31 AM
    Sounds good then! Sorry I doubted you.
    09-06-2014 04:14 AM
    Has anybody else has this problem??
    09-07-2014 02:48 PM
    For anyone else, this was a setting I was talking about, should be turned off.
    Attached Thumbnails Google saves my searches.....-uploadfromtaptalk1410121309664.jpg  
    09-07-2014 03:21 PM
    For anyone else, this was a setting I was talking about, should be turned off.
    See I don't have that in my phone, or at least idk how to get to it.
    09-11-2014 01:24 AM
    See I don't have that in my phone, or at least idk how to get to it.
    Tap:
    Settings, Accounts, Google, Search, Accounts & Privacy.

And you should get that page. There are additional pages too having to do with data collection you can opt out of - just try tapping on everything and see what you find. I'd honestly point you in each direction step by step but I need another phone next to me (currently it's charging) to map them out. But it's mainly pages you will find in that area under Settings, Accounts that you'll want to turn things off in.
    09-11-2014 01:39 AM
    Tap:
    Settings, Accounts, Google, Search, Accounts & Privacy.

And you should get that page. There are additional pages too having to do with data collection you can opt out of - just try tapping on everything and see what you find. I'd honestly point you in each direction step by step but I need another phone next to me (currently it's charging) to map them out. But it's mainly pages you will find in that area under Settings, Accounts that you'll want to turn things off in.
    I don't see that :/...

I went to settings, accounts, clicked Google, but then under that there is only a privacy part that only lists location and ads.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:58 PM
    I don't see that :/...

I went to settings, accounts, clicked Google, but then under that there is only a privacy part that only lists location and ads.
    There's nothing that says Search? That's strange. Are you using a different search engine?
    09-12-2014 06:42 AM
    There's nothing that says Search? That's strange. Are you using a different search engine?
    Nope, Galaxy S4 and Google Chrome :/....
    09-12-2014 06:50 PM
    Can you take a screenshot and post it? I'm curious what you see. :/
    09-12-2014 09:17 PM
    You can get to that settings from the Google search app itself. Open it from the drawer or your homescreen and click on the three dots bottom right.

The tricky part. You can't see them if your keyboard is up
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    09-12-2014 09:36 PM
    Can you take a screenshot and post it? I'm curious what you see. :/
    How do I do that on my phone??

You can get to that settings from the Google search app itself. Open it from the drawer or your homescreen and click on the three dots bottom right.

The tricky part. You can't see them if your keyboard is up
    I can get to the settings, idk what to do after that though :/...
    09-13-2014 02:09 AM
    How do I do that on my phone??

I can get to the settings, idk what to do after that though :/...
    Do you see anything that looks like this picture when you tap settings?
    Attached Thumbnails Google saves my searches.....-uploadfromtaptalk1410610252445.jpg  
    09-13-2014 07:10 AM
    Do you see anything that looks like this picture when you tap settings?
    Um....is that even a Samsung Galaxy S4??.....
    09-13-2014 02:33 PM
    No, but the Google Search settings will look the same in the app. They should, anyway. That's why I was hoping you could post a screenshot of whatever you see when you look for the settings and don't find them.

Look in the app drawer for the Google Search app. Then look at settings in it.

ETA: Hopefully someone else can help you.
    09-13-2014 02:34 PM
    No, but the Google Search settings will look the same in the app. They should, anyway. That's why I was hoping you could post a screenshot of whatever you see when you look for the settings and don't find them.

Look in the app drawer for the Google Search app. Then look at settings in it.

ETA: Hopefully someone else can help you.
    Um, I'm not using the app, I'm using the mobile google chrome browser....I said that in the first post. The search app has the settings you say but that doesn't do me any good.

Also, no offense or anything, but you really shouldn't be trying to help people with a phone you don't have unless you had it in the past...
    09-14-2014 03:03 AM
    Everyone has the app, unless your phone is a Chinese knockoff. It seems my help is generally as good as anyone's willingness to solve a problem. Sometimes better. I asked you to look for the app, or do a screenshot. Not willing? No one's going to do it for you.
    Javier P likes this.
    09-14-2014 06:12 AM
    A couple of things about your Google problem. When logged in the history search is not stored in an app, it's a log in your Google account. This is good for some people because you can sync data between devices and apps. Doesn't look you are a big fan of this feature, so...

You can use chrome and search without being logged in (easy, log out switch history off).

You can use chrome being logged in without syncing between devices and apps (easy thing in chrome sync settings).

You can disable search history in YOUR ACCOUNT (easy with the instructions provided here through Google search).

After deleting history in chrome sometimes the old one is still there. Clear cookies and cache of that happens.

Chrome uses a lot of memory. You can have a routine to clear cache and data to avoid that our you can disable it and use a different and lighter browser.

Mate, there are some people trying to help you, no need to be rude.

Good luck.
    mrsmumbles and dancing-bass like this.
    09-14-2014 09:11 AM
    Everyone has the app, unless your phone is a Chinese knockoff. It seems my help is generally as good as anyone's willingness to solve a problem. Sometimes better. I asked you to look for the app, or do a screenshot. Not willing? No one's going to do it for you.
    Ok I'm well aware everybody has the Google search app but as I've mentioned multiple times now. I don't use that app and have it turned off. I need help with the Google Chrome browser. And I don't know how to take a screen shot which is why I asked above.
    09-14-2014 07:57 PM
    Use incognito mode if you are so worried about your history being saved or clear history after every time you use chrome.
    09-14-2014 08:18 PM
    Use incognito mode if you are so worried about your history being saved or clear history after every time you use chrome.
    But I'm talking about the search bar saving my searches, not the history.
    Attached Thumbnails Google saves my searches.....-screenshot_2014-09-14-19-36-32.jpg  
    09-14-2014 08:43 PM
33 12