05-21-2017 01:22 PM
143 ... 23456
tools
    I was having trouble pairing my Gear S2 Classic Watch to my new Note 7. The screen overlay error prevented me from pairing the Watch.
    I turned on the Developer Options (see instructions below), restarted the phone and it problem solved. How do I turn off screen overlays?-screenshot_20160826-100341.jpg .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sexton1 View Post
    I had the same thing happen....however when i went to look for Developer Options it was no where to be found....Finally I found an article telling me how..../////.settings....more......about device......build number.....tap 7 times.....turn off developer options........overlays disappeared.....only took me about 4 hours for find this solution.....good luck
    08-26-2016 02:21 PM
    Hi! I went in to the MetroPCS store.....told them I was having this screen overlay issue. The girl gave me a number to call. So I called it. The man told me a had a hacker and/or a virus in my gmail account, my phone is not the problem he said. And he wanted $100 to fix it!
    I didn't pay.

What I did was a factory reset on my phone.
    On my laptop I went on my google account and completely removed my gmail account from the Google . You have to replace it with an email that is not gmail, so I made a new hotmIl account. This is important if you want to save your contacts and calendar.
    So now I am no longer using that "infected" gmail account. I use the new hotmail acct to sign in to the Google account.

Back to the phone.....factory reset. Then when restarting, use your different email to log in and set it as a new device....DO NOT use a previous back up!
    Yes you'll have to reinstall all your apps.

Then I also discovered an update in the system/program part on the phone, some kind of compatibility patch. I downloaded it and got that stupid overlay message again......
    Back to square one.
    Reset to factory again.
    This time I did not download that patch.
    So far (knock on wood) my phone is working and I'm not getting the screen overlay message.

Let me know if this helps you
    08-27-2016 12:47 PM
    It isn't a virus with your Gmail.
    08-27-2016 12:52 PM
    Also....I tried most of the stuff everyone else posted. I didn't have clean master on my phone. And I did find the devoloper part but that didn't fix it. None of the above stuff fixed it.
    I have an LG G Stylio 1 , phone is 6 mos old. My carrier is MetroPCS
    08-27-2016 12:53 PM
    You guys might want to use your Samsung Plus app and contact Samsung Plus. You must use the video chat, you don't have to turn on your camera. Using the video chat is the only way to get to this department, that phone number in the app won't work. They are not 800 Samsung. This is a new, specialized customer support department.
    08-27-2016 12:54 PM
    I'm not sure what it is, but that's the only thing that worked for me.
    That hole thing with them wanting money,sounded like a money making scam to me
    08-27-2016 12:54 PM
    I'm not sure what it is, but that's the only thing that worked for me.
    That hole thing with them wanting money,sounded like a money making scam to me
    That is a scam and the manager of that store needs to know the employee is giving out that number.

It has to do with specific apps an allowing drawing over apps.

I had it pop up on my Note 5 when setting up Greenify. I couldn't select options because of it. It eventually tool me to what I had to change and now it is fine. I don't remember where it took me to fix it.

It tends to pop up with security and battery type apps. It could have something to do with Knox.
    08-27-2016 12:59 PM
    I didn't have any of that stuff on my phone.
    It seems to have started after an installed an update, I think a system update or android update, I can't remember.
    And if I download that ' compatibility patch ' I'll get the screen overlay message again.
    So for me and my phone.....I think the problem is in that patch. Whatever it is, I have no clue.
    08-27-2016 01:04 PM
    I didn't have any of that stuff on my phone.
    It seems to have started after an installed an update, I think a system update or android update, I can't remember.
    And if I download that ' compatibility patch ' I'll get the screen overlay message again.
    So for me and my phone.....I think the problem is in that patch. Whatever it is, I have no clue.
    It is a Samsung and/or Knox issue. Other apps can possible cause this.

You really should contact Samsung Plus and let them help you.
    08-27-2016 01:05 PM
    I don't have a Samsung. It's an LG Stylo
    08-27-2016 01:06 PM
    Then it is a marshmallow thing. You have an app that needs special permissions. There are a lot of threads about this and it usually shows up on Samsung phones a lot.
    08-27-2016 01:12 PM
    I just found this video, it is short. This might help you.

08-27-2016 01:19 PM
    Luckily, I have that whole conversation with the " tech support" guy recorded . I just retread thru it,
    He clearly told me that my gmail was infected and hackers were gonna find me and steal my info.
    He also was telling me that it is a problem with MAC computers and Apple .....neither of which I was/am using.
    08-27-2016 01:31 PM
    Luckily, I have that whole conversation with the " tech support" guy recorded . I just retread thru it,
    He clearly told me that my gmail was infected and hackers were gonna find me and steal my info.
    He also was telling me that it is a problem with MAC computers and Apple .....neither of which I was/am using.
    But tech support for who? Where did she get that number?

It isn't anything to do with a a virus at all. It is permissions with the OS.
    08-27-2016 01:32 PM
    Thanks for the video
    I did do all that .... I spent 4 days trying to figure this out and I'm telling you the only thing that worked was removing my gmail acct and not downloading the compatibility patch.....
    08-27-2016 01:34 PM
    Well I fixed it on mine and have the same Gmail account I've had for over 10 years now.
    08-27-2016 01:36 PM
    No company name was mentioned. He said his name is Jerry, he sounded middle eastern.....Indian maybe.
    The girl at the store looked at my phone and was clicking something on the screen , idk what. Then she seemed to be getting the numbers off of the store computer.....
    08-27-2016 01:36 PM
    My sister got the same type of number that was supposedly Google and they told her the same crap, virus. It wasn't and it was an issue I fixed on her computer.
    08-27-2016 01:38 PM
    I just did a reverse number look up......it says it's a mobile number with no other info, based out of Kansas.
    So the problem was probably not my gmail at all. But I'm not taking any chances , now that I know someone is messing with me, I only used that account for Google and YouTube . My personal email acct is different.

So I still think ten problem is in that compatibility patch. Cause when I download it I get that screen overlay message.

I've reset my phone 4 times......so I'm pretty sure that is what it is. But I do not know what that patch is for or if I need it.
    08-27-2016 01:45 PM
    I just did a reverse number look up......it says it's a mobile number with no other info, based out of Kansas.
    So the problem was probably not my gmail at all. But I'm not taking any chances , now that I know someone is messing with me, I only used that account for Google and YouTube . My personal email acct is different.

So I still think ten problem is in that compatibility patch. Cause when I download it I get that screen overlay message.

I've reset my phone 4 times......so I'm pretty sure that is what it is. But I do not know what that patch is for or if I need it.
    I promise you it is not your Gmail and it isn't a virus.

Ignore the patch. Reset your phone, set it up as new, start setting up your apps. If one gives you the message when setting it up, it should take you to the settings to change like Greenify did me.
    08-27-2016 01:48 PM
    Thanks. Ya, I'm ignoring the patch. So far , good.
    One thing I forget to mention is, I took my memory card out and I have not put it back in. I know that I probably have backed up my phone on it.

It probably has nothing to do with it, but I thought I would mention it.
    I'm gonna buy a new memory card for the phone
    08-27-2016 01:58 PM
    Thanks. Ya, I'm ignoring the patch. So far , good.
    One thing I forget to mention is, I took my memory card out and I have not put it back in. I know that I probably have backed up my phone on it.

It probably has nothing to do with it, but I thought I would mention it.
    I'm gonna buy a new memory card for the phone
    Well SD cards can cause issues but I have a Note 5, no card.

I always set phones back up as new, many phones don't like copying over settings. I will copy pictures, etc. You can format that card if you like. If there is a problem it should tell you when you format it.
    08-27-2016 02:02 PM
    I'm thinking I should pop in to my laptop first.
    I'd like to save the photos that are on it
    08-27-2016 03:06 PM
    Yeah get the pictures or download Google Photos. They give free unlimited storage and will automatically upload new pics if you set it to.
    08-27-2016 03:10 PM
    I was unable to connect my new Samsung Galaxy S6 to my computer running Windows 10 using a usb cord like I normally did with my old Samsung Galaxy S3. The local Version people were lame and could not help. After searching the internet, I found the problem and solution. The problem was with all the applications I had loaded (I had them on my old plone with no problem) to scan for problems, turnoff apps to save power, etc. They were overlaying the the phone. I deleted them all and problem solved! I am going to install them one by one to see if I can use them without a problem.
    08-30-2016 06:08 PM
143 ... 23456