How do I turn off screen overlays?

Jase Tipton

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: Screen overlays == How do I turn them off. Help!!!

Welcome to Android Central! Can you show us screenshots? http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Are these screen overlays static, or is there constantly changing data associated with them? It might be a Developer Option that you turned on somehow. Go to Settings>Developer Options, and see if anything there is checked on. Uncheck them, or just turn off Developer Options. Do those things disappear?

I don't have developer options on my galaxy s7

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Settings - about phone. Tap on the build number 7 times

zkmurphy1

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
*****THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!!!******
I tried EVERYTHING suggested, but nothing worked until I DELETED KEEPSAFE. I restarted my phone and the screen overlay issue was immediately solved.

19john57

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
7/24/2016 T-Mobile sent a marshmallow upgrade to my Galaxy S5. After the upgrade I couldn't make changes or open certain apps , I kept getting turn off screen overlay. @ hours on the phone between T-Mobile and Samsung..... uninstalled clean master and it solved the problem. Actually I solved it and relayed the message to them.........

Goddess422

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
After following all the solutions here (short of the factory reset and uninstalling the Clean Master apps (don't have any)) I'm still having issues with this screen overlay. I'm just trying to access a pdf of my credit card statements, and I can't open them because in order to do so I have to give all the permissions to the Google Drive pdf viewer, and before I do that, I have to "turn off screen overlay." Nothing seems to be working. Please help! I don't want to factory reset. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge.
Screenshot_20160727-223050.jpgScreenshot_20160727-223653.jpgScreenshot_20160727-223708.jpg

dirteedees

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Ok so it's not just clean master i had a set of app under the name DU. One for my battery one for apps, and one for anti virus. I deleted all 3 of them restarted my phone and *poof* no more turn off of overlay alert boxes. so I recommend deleting any "optimization" apps any of you have and rebooting your phone.

Chris1098

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

Somehow I've managed to get two screen overlays on my phone. They are smaller semi-grayed out copies of the real screen. There is also a thin white line at the top of the screen telling the sizes of the overlays. I have uninstalled almost every app on my phone even though I don't have anything that I installed right before this happened. I have also gone through almost every setting (I say almost because there's always one more on this phone not because I didn't get every last one I know about.)
I'm going in for a knee replacement on Monday and then to rehap and I'd like to have a USABLE phone if they let me have it - they will at rehap at least (I think).
Anyone know how I shot myself in the foot?

Thanks!

Delete Clean Master! It worked for me

Catherine Pickering

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Okay, after going through this and that. I simply closed the Facebook Messenger Chats that I had open. Once I did that, I stopped getting the overlay issues message. I turned on permissions for the app I was trying to use. Now I have to figure out how to go back and turn off the developer mode.

Bigmikeyt

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
After following all the solutions here (short of the factory reset and uninstalling the Clean Master apps (don't have any)) I'm still having issues with this screen overlay. I'm just trying to access a pdf of my credit card statements, and I can't open them because in order to do so I have to give all the permissions to the Google Drive pdf viewer, and before I do that, I have to "turn off screen overlay." Nothing seems to be working. Please help! I don't want to factory reset. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge.
View attachment 233448View attachment 233447View attachment 233446

I had the same issues, I was able to fix it by removing the battery doctor app and an app for cleaning out old files.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jobett

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey,
I really need help...can't get to access any app on my phone....says I have to turn off overlay settings...can't find where that is...my phone is a edge6S

arash zamani

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi

You have to find the app that is appearing on top, and that's the only way I could turn the app overlay off. Mine was a bandwidth meter gadget called data usage monitor that always showed the current bandwidth and was always on top.

Look for anything that is always on top like calendars, usage monitors and stuff like that.

I have a brand new S7 edge and after disabling the floating widget everything is back to normal and I can use Whatsapp like before.

Hope this helps

MelSan

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site

After the LG G4 update on Friday I had this issue with several apps. I spent 3 hours at the verizon store today luckily with a very patient person. He finally found that the clean master app was the problem. After hours of trying to fix it and being on the phone with several different customer support people he saw the clean master and said I bet this caused a virus. He deleted it and sure enough, my pictures, calendar and mail were working correctly. They were not opening and saying that I hate overlays being detected. I would try and fix it and it would just keep looping back to the overlay detected screen. If you have a cleaning app delete it, restart your phone and see if everything works again.

Thank Goodness! This was it! WHEW! It was the DU Battery app on my Galaxy S7. Uninstalled and now Google calendar app works. Thanks so much! Not sure if I installed or if it came with the phone.

Brury Sartana1

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site

After searching for sooooo loooong and reverting to factory settings after going too and fro from all the apps to settings for hours reading all the comments on google doing everything in the end uninstalling Clean master and restarting did the trick for me.

Thanks.

It works ! Thanks !