How do I turn off screen overlays?

margieKat

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Screen overlays == How do I turn them off. Help!!!

Somehow I've managed to get two screen overlays on my phone. They are smaller semi-grayed out copies of the real screen. There is also a thin white line at the top of the screen telling the sizes of the overlays. I have uninstalled almost every app on my phone even though I don't have anything that I installed right before this happened. I have also gone through almost every setting (I say almost because there's always one more on this phone not because I didn't get every last one I know about.)
I'm going in for a knee replacement on Monday and then to rehap and I'd like to have a USABLE phone if they let me have it - they will at rehap at least (I think).
Anyone know how I shot myself in the foot?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen overlays == How do I turn them off. Help!!!

Welcome to Android Central! Can you show us screenshots? http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Are these screen overlays static, or is there constantly changing data associated with them? It might be a Developer Option that you turned on somehow. Go to Settings>Developer Options, and see if anything there is checked on. Uncheck them, or just turn off Developer Options. Do those things disappear?

margieKat

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Developer option is a good thought. I'll run that down before bothering you any more. Just to answer your question though, the two "overlays" are grayed exact copies of the screen currently in use. I can see the exact same changes to both overlays that I see on the main screen. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks!

Update - I got crazy trying to find which developer setting I needed to reset. Developer options are not so easy to find oh this model. I ended up doing a factory reset and restore from a backup done just a short while ago. Interestingly, the restore did not restore the "overlays".

Last edited:

margieKat

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

This can be closed Backup, set to factory defaults, restore and I'm pretty much back. Thanks for the support!

margieKat

Mike Sexton1

May 14, 2015
Visit site

I had the same thing happen....however when i went to look for Developer Options it was no where to be found....Finally I found an article telling me how..../////.settings....more......about device......build number.....tap 7 times.....turn off developer options........overlays disappeared.....only took me about 4 hours for find this solution.....good luck

David Michael2

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

I had the same thing happen....however when i went to look for Developer Options it was no where to be found....Finally I found an article telling me how..../////.settings....more......about device......build number.....tap 7 times.....turn off developer options........overlays disappeared.....only took me about 4 hours for find this solution.....good luck
That is happening to me to but there is no option to turn dev settings off, help?

Joel Nichols

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with my HTC One. I finally figured it out. What I had to do is. - settings - developer options - advanced - simulate secondary displays - then select none. Hope this helps!

cigta

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

How do I get to the option to turn screen overlay off for my checkin location for facebook.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Shandyd

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Can you show us screenshots? http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Are these screen overlays static, or is there constantly changing data associated with them? It might be a Developer Option that you turned on somehow. Go to Settings>Developer Options, and see if anything there is checked on. Uncheck them, or just turn off Developer Options. Do those things disappear?

If you have a blue light filter, shut it off and the problem goes away.

Joel Simon

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site

Thank you, this was my same predicament, however finally finding the developer options and turning them off, overlays are still being detected...completely lost now

ahansen6

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site

After the LG G4 update on Friday I had this issue with several apps. I spent 3 hours at the verizon store today luckily with a very patient person. He finally found that the clean master app was the problem. After hours of trying to fix it and being on the phone with several different customer support people he saw the clean master and said I bet this caused a virus. He deleted it and sure enough, my pictures, calendar and mail were working correctly. They were not opening and saying that I hate overlays being detected. I would try and fix it and it would just keep looping back to the overlay detected screen. If you have a cleaning app delete it, restart your phone and see if everything works again.

Amit Patekar

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site

Thank you , you save me many hours of debugging, I was facing this issue from last 2 days and was searching for solution. After uninstalling "Clean Master" which i was using from years, it solved the problem.

Noiram

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
yeah, worked for me after trying everything else... you juts need to remove all the CM apps and the screen overlay will vanish finally

Rannaru

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site

After searching for sooooo loooong and reverting to factory settings after going too and fro from all the apps to settings for hours reading all the comments on google doing everything in the end uninstalling Clean master and restarting did the trick for me.

Thanks.

Deagan1337

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I fixed it by opening 'Clean master' > click on the right bottom corner 'Me' > 'Settings' > disable iSwipe under iSwipe > 'iSwipe Settings' to off.

Bedford-Tigger

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
OK quick update. I removed all Cheetah apps. I got around screen overlay loop. I also have blue screen set to inactive.
Verizon had me try safe mode 1st but this maybe easier work around.