Ok so today i plug my charger into my galaxy s4 and it tells me. This is not the original charger. Its the same charger I been using over and over and over. So I tried all the usual things.
    Changed chargers.
    Remove battery.
    Tried plugging it into a cpu.
    At best I can get it back on using my laptop. If i unplug it...it will die immediately. It will not charge. Battery becomes a red X. Again telling me to use the original charger. I left it off for like an hour came back and it had a picture of the android green guy saying downloading Do not turn off. How can that be if my phone is dead? WTF?
    Im going crazy on how to fix this. Ive tried all the usual stuff. Is there a step im missing or do I need a new phone?
    Thank you for all help. I need my phone to wake me up for work tomorrow lol
    09-28-2014 11:40 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The two things I'd suggest that you haven't tried yet are a new battery or replacing the charging port. A new battery is pretty easy and relatively cheap to get. Replacing the charging port is clearly a bit more involved, and you'd probably want to bring the phone to a repair shop for that.
    09-28-2014 11:47 PM
    You can also try factory resetting your device to see whether it will start doing a normal charging. But before doing so, make sure you back-up your device data so you don't lose anything important. If this doesn't work, then you can try replacing your battery and checking your changing port.
    09-29-2014 12:16 AM
    How do I back everything up? It wont read on my laptop because it wont stay charged.
    09-29-2014 12:21 AM
    Keeps telling me the charger is incompatible and the charging has stopped or it will damage my phone.
    09-29-2014 12:24 AM
    Is it usable when plugged in? You could possibly back up some of your personal data to cloud services, if you weren't already, and I email my Nova Launcher backups to my self any time I make a big change or prepare to reset. If you have allowed Google to sync your settings, and you use mainly Web based services, factory reset to back to normal can be less than 30 minutes, including re-download ing (over wifi, I suggest) and setting preferences.
    09-29-2014 01:27 PM
    To add, for me, the launcher backup and Tasker data are the only thing that aren't kept in the cloud. Everything else shows back up, minus cache and possibly needing passwords, after a reset, just like buying a new phone.
    09-29-2014 01:31 PM
    I've got the same problem now as well. Fortunately, I had a spare battery. I put that in and it still will not charge. I will got to a local VerizonWireless and see what they say. This sucks.
    09-29-2014 02:46 PM