I am using S4, I assume there are only 2 places (correct me if I am wrong) to store data/files, phone internal memory and memory card

1. What stuff are stored on phone memory and what stuff are stored on memory card?

2. What stuff save location cannot be changed? (e.g. change from saving to phone memory to memory card, vice versa...)

(when I say "stuff", I mean anything that android stores e.g. SMS, calling history, photos, videos, whatsapp history, contacts, apps...)
    10-10-2014 09:30 AM
    May I ask if you have issues saving to your phone memory or memory card?
    10-10-2014 09:39 AM
    May I ask if you have issues saving to your phone memory or memory card?
    My phone is working fine. I am asking the question to learn more about the phone. I might want to save everything to memory card so I can bring over all info easily by transferring the memory card when I switch phone. But I also heard that some stuff can only be saved on the phone memory.
    10-10-2014 09:57 AM
    My phone is working fine. I am asking the question to learn more about the phone. I might want to save everything to memory card so I can bring over all info easily by transferring the memory card when I switch phone. But I also heard that some stuff can only be saved on the phone memory.
    The phone system apps / OS are in internal memory. That can't be moved.

The answer as to whether apps that you buy and install can be moved depends on the app, and even when they can, they often leave footprints of various sizes in internal memory.

Basically, at this point, barring some unusual circumstances, you'll be using cards mostly for media--mp3s, videos. Other than some games and stuff, even if you can transfer apps to the card, they are not that big a space eater unless you have zillions. At least not when compared to zillions of Mp3s and videos. Some do have large data files--those can often be moved to the card.

Since the KitKat updates, some (most) apps have some issues writing to the card or deleting files, but they can still at least access media files on the card.
    10-10-2014 12:18 PM
    monsieurms answered it well. If the file or app is transferable from phone memory to memory card, then, that's the answer to your question.
    10-11-2014 09:31 PM