Verizon is trying to OTA update my GS4, now on 4.4.2. Can I decline this update?

BillDennes

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
On 10/13/14 my GS4 started displaying Software Update Available notices from Verizon. I have not looked at the update's instructions as I am afraid of starting the update and losing Root. Thus, I have no info about what the update is about, or any version numbers.

I'm currently running 4.4.2, and am Rooted. I would like to stay rooted so that I can run things like the fix that allows writing to external SD in 4.4.2.

Can I stop the nagging from the update? In other words can I decline the update instead of putting it off again and again? I tried to find the files that were mentioned earlier this year (April?) when the last update came out, but Titanium can't find them.

Also, I think it's kinda weird that I'm the only person wondering about this. Are others receiving the Update Available message? (Am I asking this question in the wrong place?)

Thanks in advance!

BillDennes

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.

314 views in 5 days and not a whisper back. What happened?

I'm getting used to declining the update every day. I'm still working on getting used to the silence. Did I do something?

:+(

bob_likes_his_root

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a way to get rid of this too. I've seen nothing but bad reviews from GS4 users with root who have updated and I'm fine with how my phone works now. Crashes, etc. are not on my list of things I want to deal with. Please, someone pay attention to this post and help Bill and I out. Do i need to learn how to load a custom ROM just to keep verizon's crap from ruining my phone?

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
On 10/13/14 my GS4 started displaying Software Update Available notices from Verizon. I have not looked at the update's instructions as I am afraid of starting the update and losing Root. Thus, I have no info about what the update is about, or any version numbers.

I'm currently running 4.4.2, and am Rooted. I would like to stay rooted so that I can run things like the fix that allows writing to external SD in 4.4.2.

Can I stop the nagging from the update? In other words can I decline the update instead of putting it off again and again? I tried to find the files that were mentioned earlier this year (April?) when the last update came out, but Titanium can't find them.

Also, I think it's kinda weird that I'm the only person wondering about this. Are others receiving the Update Available message? (Am I asking this question in the wrong place?)

Thanks in advance!

I am curious as to how you got SD card write access :O

Posted on my Note 3 via the Android Central App

gaiusbaltar

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't want the update either. I have a rooted samsung phone as well.

But what I really trurly despise are the nag notifications fron verizon telling me to update. I don't want to update!

In fact in general, my biggest complaint about my galaxy s4 android phone (I only have a galaxy s4, so cant speak for other brands), is my inability to stop notifications. The feature I like least is the notification bar at the top. I don't want to know if an update is available, If I just got a text, an email just showed up, an update to app x is available, john the-insert-game-name-here is waiting for me to play the game again, verizon has a security update I should get that I don't want, there's a new voicemail, or one of the 537 other ways the phone can interrupt me to tell me about something that is absolutely unimportant to the grand scheme of my life. Samsung's version of android is god awful when it comes to the notifications. Note to samsung: I f***ing hate notifications. I hate interruptions. The Samsung galaxy s4 is the absolute worst when it comes to interruptions. It stops me from my work. I got a smartphone to follow my own agenda and not have verizons/Samsungs agenda. I very much resent having a device that interrupts me and my thoughts to focus on what Verizon/Samsung thinks i should be doing. It wastes my time and spends my time spewing worthless crap down my throat.

I hear that getting the Google-Play-Edition can solve these problems. If true, sign me up. 600 is a small price to pay to actually have a phone that does what I want it to do and doesnt interrupt me nonstop. I also have 2 iphones where you can actually stop notifications. I don't want to get into an iphone/android war as that's not my point, but I will say that the ability to stop notifications aspect of iOS is worlds apart better than the Android. End of rant.

Last edited:

ellisroy

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Do what the OP recommended and freeze SDM.
As for notifications you can uncheck that option in the app. The way I do it is by going into the app drawer and moving the app to trash. App opens up giving me this option.
Another method is to settings>my device>blocking mode. Open that up and you'll have options. Never tried this way personally.

Verizon gs4 rooted and still learning

ellisroy

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Sdm is a file (program) that allows your carrier/ manufacturer to automatically installed modifications to your phone. Stupid me just learned this. Accepted Verizon OTA and it soft bricked my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

OrganLeroy

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Freezing both SDM and configupdater (using Titanium Backup to do so) did the trick for me. The phone hasn't made any more update attempts and I remain on 4.4.2 & NC5.

Last edited: