Dumb question: how do I keep the phone from ringing at work?

Crunchyhippo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
How do I keep the phone from ringing at work without having to do something to it first AFTER it rings? I don't want to block calls or have to wait til it rings first. I searched Google and surprisingly can't find the answer. My iPhone had a "mute" button on the side that you could toggle, and it incoming calls would just make the phone vibrate when a call came in. I don't see such a button on the S4.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hold down on the volume rocker and it should vibrate and display the volume level as 0. Then holding it up will return it to normal, with an audible beep.

jamaica168

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Put the phone in mute or vibrate mode by either pressing the sound quick toggle in the notification bar (once for vibrate,twice for silent) or by long pressing the power button and picking one of the options at the bottom.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Typically, when you press and hold the power button there should be a Silence icon on the lower left of the power menu that pops up.

I work a set schedule during the day so I use an app called Timeriffic that automatically puts my phone in silent at 8am.

spyderveloce

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Many apps allow you to set up automated tasks based on conditions. I've used Timeriffic before but my preferred app is AutomateIT. You can set simple rules that say when you are at work (based on GPS or Cell Tower connection) to set to vibrate. You would then set another rule that says when you leave the area (again GPS or Cell Tower connection) re-enable the ringer. There are many apps, like I said. AutomateIT lies between the complexity of Tasker and the simplicity of Timeriffic and it's constantly updated. Root is NOT necessary, but additional functions exist if you have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34