Has my phone died?

genghisconnie

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Phone died while on a call, screen went black. Can't reboot. Red light on.

My battery was slightly low (25% remaining), so while on a call, I plugged it in with the factory charger to ensure it didn't drain.
The phone was warm, but it has withstood the 120 degree weather in AZ = heat warning + shut down & turned back on once cool (twice).

If there was any warning, I didn't see it because I was talking with the phone to my ear. While speaking, the phone died. DEAD. The screen went completely black. Only the topmost red light is on.

I unplugged it and let it cool. Plugged it in again. I tried the old Evo reboot, then the S3 reboot (home, volume-up & power key hold). Nothing works. It's just a black screen with 1 red light. I don't know how to remove the battery - I don't think it's possible on these. :confused:

My local Sprint tech store is unfortunately staffed with less-than-enthusiastic reps. Hoping for some quick help here. Anyone? It's my only phone! Eek! :'(

My last Sprint issue was my Evo dying basically the same way. They said it couldn't be fixed there. Couldn't replace the battery. Could send it in with a 3-week turnaround time with no guarantees. That's why I have this phone. Purchased 9 months ago. Well taken care of.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone died while on a call, screen went black. Can't reboot. Red light on.

Welcome to Android Central! You should certainly be able to remove the S4's battery and try a replacement. Are you having difficulty with that?

Rudy_eila

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Phone died while on a call, screen went black. Can't reboot. Red light on.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood something, but is your phone a Galaxy S4??? If so, all you need to do to remove the battery is take the back cover off, you can do that by taking the first part off from where you plug the charger in, and then it should easily come right off, and then simply take the battery out with your hand...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781