How much longer will S4 be useful?

llcamino

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My wife is currently using an iPhone 5 which is plenty fast for her. However we are wanting to switch her to an android phone with expandable storage. The S4 is about as large as she would want to go.
My main concern is that if I bought a galaxy s4 now, how long would it be useable? Would the updates to the OS quickly make this phone slow? Would app makers stop supporting the older version of the OS? This has happened before to me with an iPhone where I didn't update the OS because it bogged the phone down, however app developers cut off making updates for the older OS. Therefore, the phone became useless.
If the S4 will be obsolete in the near future, is there a better Android phone with expandable storage that would be better...smaller size being a very important factor.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The S4 is a fine phone but there are better handsets available now. How about an S5 or Alpha if you don't want to wait for the imminent S6? Those devices will get OS support much longer than the S4 and they're better (faster) devices.

llcamino

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The s5 is too big (for her liking). I have the s5 ando it didn't pass the pocket test for her. Does the alpha have expandable storage? That'sounds one of the main reasons for her to switch from iPhone is the ability you have a micro SD.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The s5 is too big (for her liking). I have the s5 ando it didn't pass the pocket test for her. Does the alpha have expandable storage? That'sounds one of the main reasons for her to switch from iPhone is the ability you have a micro SD.

Nope, the Alpha has 32GB and it's not expandable.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember what "expandable storage" means - data files. It doesn't mean that you can stick in a 128GB card and have 160GB of storage. Some apps run on the card, some can be moved but won't run and some can't be moved. Most that can be moved can only have parts moved. For every part moved, there's a link left in internal storage, so you don't save as much internal space as you think you will.

And some thngs are hard-wired to internal storage - no matter how large a hard drive you connect as external storage (and you can connect a 10TB drive to an Android phone), if you run out of internal storage, those things (SMS, for instance) stop working.

If the S5 is too large for her, th S4 is the next best bet. (Don't fall for a phone with a non-removable battery. Every time you need a new battery, you're paying $40 plus labor for a $10 battery - and you can't carry a spare for when your battery falls below 40% [which you shouldn't allow if you want it to last].)

llcamino

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The added storage is mostly for pictures. We like to keep tons of pictures of the kids on the phine, so the ability to use a micro sd is a bonus.
Could anyone provide a link to the s4+lte that would work on AT&T on the U.S.? I'm not very knowledgeable in unlocked phones.