Where are pdf downloads saved?

mandla

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I download some train timetables in pdf form and wished to save them on my S4. I could open and view them but then they vanished. There does not seem to be any "Save" option when viewing a downloaded pdf. Is it possible to save a pdf on the S4 & if so, how?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you view a file, it doesn't get saved. If you save a file it does - to wherever the particular browser saves files. The default is /Download (in internal storage). Whether you can save it or not depends on the website and the browser you're using. In Firefox, for example, with most pdf files, you get the choice to open the file in whatever pdf apps you have or to download it. (A pdf file can be set so it can't be saved, printed or a few other things. That's up to the author.)

mandla

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
If you view a file, it doesn't get saved. If you save a file it does - to wherever the particular browser saves files. The default is /Download (in internal storage). Whether you can save it or not depends on the website and the browser you're using. In Firefox, for example, with most pdf files, you get the choice to open the file in whatever pdf apps you have or to download it. (A pdf file can be set so it can't be saved, printed or a few other things. That's up to the author.)

Thanks for that reply.
I'm still unclear how to save the files. After downloading I can see the little "download" icon at the top of my Galaxy screen. I slide down the home screen & the actual file is viewable there but as soon as I click on it, it opens. how do I save it?

I have no problem in saving the same pdf files in Firefox on my PC, so there is no restriction on saving the files, but want them on my phone. Having downloaded the file onto the phone, what do I need to do to save it?

Also can I copy them from the PC to the phone using Kies?

mandla

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Reading my original post maybe it isn't clear. I downloaded the pdf timetables direct onto my Samsung Galaxy S4 (not onto a PC). After downloading I can find them by swiping my home screen down & I can see the files. I can view them after which they vanish. How can I save them on the phone?

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
They should be in the download folder. Go to the apps screen and you should see one called 'Downloads'. I think the icon is a green arrow pointing downwards. This should list all files that have been downloaded.

The alternative is to open the 'My Files' app and search for it by name. You can then move it to any file you want.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Seth is right. You'll find them through downloads, but everything is going to be there (pdf, photos ...). The other way is through the app that open/save your PDF files. I use Adobe, so every time I want to see one I just open the app.

mandla

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
They should be in the download folder. Go to the apps screen and you should see one called 'Downloads'. I think the icon is a green arrow pointing downwards. This should list all files that have been downloaded.

The alternative is to open the 'My Files' app and search for it by name. You can then move it to any file you want.

Many thanks for that. found them!
Next problem was moving/saving it. The only option I can see in a triangular icon at the top of the page which comes up with "Save to Drive" and then underneath that my gmail email address (which I never actually use - just created to enable the Android facilities on the phone) I created a Folder which I called Timetables & clicked Save but now have no idea where that folder is!! I checked "My Files" & can't see it there.

mandla

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Seth is right. You'll find them through downloads, but everything is going to be there (pdf, photos ...). The other way is through the app that open/save your PDF files. I use Adobe, so every time I want to see one I just open the app.

I'm not very Smartphone savy! As mentioned in my reply to Seth, I've now found the pdf timetables in the download folder but would like to move them from there. The only option I can see is to save "to Drive" which I have but don't understand & can't find anywhere!:( - I thought it might be in "My Files"
If I download Adobe would I be able save them there or would I just use Adobe to find wherever they are & then then just open them?
What I would actually like would be to have a folder names "timetables" (maybe I have!!) where I could see an icon for that folder on my screen & just open it. :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd recommend you to download a pdf reader app. I like Adobe Reader, but plenty of them in the Play Store.

After that, next time you open a pdf file you should be prompted to choose an app. Tap on the one you downloaded (if you press always don't worry, there's an easy way to change that default action in you need to). Now you can open any pdf file you download with no need to browse through your files and folders. Just open the pdf reader and everything will be there.

The folder you are talking about most likely is a Drive folder.

Edit. Ooooops! I just saw your last post after posting mine. :)

Sort of answer your question.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
What I would actually like would be to have a folder names "timetables" (maybe I have!!) where I could see an icon for that folder on my screen & just open it. :)

Maybe there are other ways to do that but this one works for me. I use ES File Explorer. Open the app, find the file, long press on it, select "more" (bottom right), then add to desktop. This way an icon will be created in your homescreen to open that file. Works great with Adobe.

ArieR01

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue and found a way to deal with it. I use the browser app and want to save a PDF file. I managed to download but it doesn't show up in my downloads folder although I can find it when I swipe down.

Solution: on the website, I hold on the link to the file, 'save link', it will chose to save to Dowloads by default. Go to the 'File Manager', the file is in the Downloads folder. I can select my downloaded file by ticking the box, then I go up and to my desired folder. While in the desired folder, I tap on the three small circles below each other in the bottom left corner. I can then chose 'Move selection here'. Done!

Shugy

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I do not know if you find answer.

But I have the same problem. I thing the main problem is that android developrs or who ever design application thinks that user do not want to save file to its particular folder. And save file to somewhere and do not give to user any chance to find out where.

1. Somebody already day here solution. In the browser used longed tap and choose save as.

2. Run Android application called Downloads. Select that file and from 3dot menu select Copy to. Then select internal or external card and any folder, slide from left to right. You can also select Download folder and save.
Now you will see the file in the default download folder or anywhere else you save it.
The default application Download is fine but have one big nonsense. You cannot see the full path of the file.

Hope this help.

I download some train timetables in pdf form and wished to save them on my S4. I could open and view them but then they vanished. There does not seem to be any "Save" option when viewing a downloaded pdf. Is it possible to save a pdf on the S4 & if so, how?