Hey, I'm curious... My wife and I both have S4's, and Tab S's. I just recently replaced my DLink DIR-655 wireless N router with a DLink DIR-880L Wireless AC router. So far, it's working really well, only had it about 3 days, but it has stayed up where my old one would spontaneously reboot itself at least a couple of times a day, usually right in the middle of doing something online. In any case, I noticed when I attach my phone and my tablet to the new 5 Ghz AC wireless network, that my tablet connects at 866 mbps (awesome!!!), but my phone typically only connects at 177 mbps. This is consistent between both my wife's and my devices. I know that both device types are able to use wireless AC, but I wonder if there is something different between the tablet and the phone hardware wise that keeps it down to this lower speed level? So far it's not really a problem, it's still plenty fast, I'm just curious why the difference? Anyone know?

capT
    01-24-2015 02:23 PM
    No idea why. but unless you're transferring files between an S4 and something else connected to the router it won't make any difference. Assuming that you're downloading/streaming 10 things at once on the S4, you'd never use more than 25mbps bandwidth. And how often will you be running 10 streams at one time on a phone? 866mbps is nice, but unless you're in a large office with everyone using wifi, you won't be using that much bandwidth for 20 years of so. Unless your router is connected to the server the download is coming from, you might get a little better than 2mbps these days. You've got a Ferrari in a traffic jam - it's still not going to do more than 3mph.
    01-24-2015 03:08 PM
    Rukbat, yes, I understand that, that's why I said it wasn't a problem, I'm just curious as to what makes the difference in how it reports the speed? Is it hardware, or something software wise on the device? Just wondering why the difference in the number? It's not going to make any difference to me speed wise, it's plenty fast.

capT
    01-24-2015 03:41 PM