Buying a new S4 in Feb 2015, smart?

dsmega55

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to get a mid-size phone since my contract is up with Verizon. I can get the galaxy s4 for free, with no rise in contract price(i could get the S5 for 100). I'm not a fan of larger phones, I just am not a power user. I use facebook, surf some, text/call and take a few pics.

My question is, since the S4 was released 2 years ago, it's now 2 years old. In two years when I'm up for contract renewal again, will I be fighting with the S4(if i get it) because it will then be a 4 year old phone? I like the size of the S4, and the price is nice. I don't care if it's not as fast as the Droid turbo or the S5, but the size is important. You think the phone will still be "usable" and not just a paperweight when it hits it's four year birthday (having two years of usage)?

Thanks,
DS

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Good morning. I think you will fare just fine with the S4. My husband just upgraded to it in November and loves it. He was in love with his S2 still and I talked him into making the jump. You and him sound like the exact same type of user. The S4 takes awesome pictures. Its great in the hand with or without a case. You can also find cases for it everywhere. I say go for it. It has the same screen resolution as the S5. Since you don't need all of the bells and whistles of the S5 your making an excellent choice. The S4 is also on the list to get lollipop so you will still have the latest software. Let us know what you get.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsmega55

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping it'll still be a viable/useful phone in two years when i would renew my contract to get another phone. Thanks!
DA

goonieboy

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I just did the same thing gonna get my galaxy S4 tomorrow, got a better deal on my plan plus the phone for FREE! And to me the S5 doesn't justify the difference in price it would cost me.

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
And consider that the S4 is getting lollipop update (with a new interface) in a couple of months.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
For $100 it is a good deal! Great phone and excellent camera! It should be a usable phone for the next 2-3 years. There is just not much more that it needs to do to be an S5. Better than paying 5-600 for an S5 that will probably last a year or two longer! In my humble opinion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair