How do I transfer my SIM card from one Samsung Galaxy to a new Samsung Galaxy?

A

AC Question

How do I transfer my SIM card from one Samsung Galaxy to a new Samsung Galaxy

I got a new Samsung Galaxy 4. My old phone is also a Samsung Galaxy 4. How do use my SIM card from my old phone after I installed it into my new phone. I can't find my contacts

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: How do I transfer my SIM card from one Samsung Galaxy to a new Samsung Galaxy

Do you know where you saved your contacts on the old S4? On many devices contacts can be stored in 3 places.

1. As Google (Gmail) contacts. These are stored on the phone and synced to your Google account (unless sync is turned off). You can include avatar photos, email addresses, physical addresses, notes, birthdays, business information, all kinds of additional info.

2. As Phone contacts. These are stored locally on the phone only and not synced. They can include additional information as above.

3. As SIM contacts. Unlike 1+2 above, only names and one number per name can be stored. No addresses, email info, photos, etc. SIM contacts are old technology left over from pre-smartphone days.

It is highly recommended that all contacts be saved as Google contacts. This provides automatic backup so contacts are not lost, online access and easy restoration to a new device.

I do not recommend saving contacts to the SIM. If you save contacts to the phone only you can lose them if the phone is lost, stolen or becomes nonfunctional unless you keep manual backups on a computer

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I transfer my SIM card from one Samsung Galaxy to a new Samsung Galaxy

Short answer. Turn both phones off. Take the card out of the current phone. Put it into the new phone. Turn the new phone on.

If you get an error (mm6, or something like that), call your carrier (or go to them) and tell them that you need an equipment swap. (Some carriers check the IMEI every time you turn the phone on to make sure you're using your phone, totally defeating the reason for having SIM cards. Dial *#06# on the phone to get the IMEI of your phone.)