Galaxy S4 turning off randomly

Giorgi16

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new on this forum. So my problem is that my Galaxy S4 (GT9515) turns off randomly, mostly when it's being charged at night. You can imagine how annoying it is when your alarm clock doesn't go off because your phone is off lol, it's very annoying. I think it happens like 3-4 times a week , so why does it happen and what can I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It completely powers off, such that you have to go through the whole boot procedure in the mornings? Does the battery show any odd behavior, like fast discharge, or slow charging?

Giorgi16

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It completely powers off, such that you have to go through the whole boot procedure in the mornings? Does the battery show any odd behavior, like fast discharge, or slow charging?

No whole boot procedure, I just have to power it on again with the power-button and I didn't notice any odd behavior with the battery. It discharges and charges pretty normal, same as when I just bought it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit confused, then--if it doesn't go through the whole boot procedure, then it hasn't powered completely off. It must just be asleep. But you're saying that the alarm doesn't go off?

Giorgi16

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm a bit confused, then--if it doesn't go through the whole boot procedure, then it hasn't powered completely off. It must just be asleep. But you're saying that the alarm doesn't go off?

What do you mean with a whole boot procedure? My phone just turns off, when I click the home button nothing happens. I dont get any incoming messages, alarms don't go off etc, I have to turn the phone on again by holding the power-button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is completely powered off (i.e., you pressed and held Power, then tapped Power Off), and then you power back on again, it should go through the whole boot process where you see the Samsung splash screen for around 15-20 seconds, then the lockscreen shows up. If the phone was just asleep, then pressing power would just bring up the lockscreen quickly. This is an important distinction, because there are times when a phone that is only asleep may not get any incoming messages.

Giorgi16

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If the phone is completely powered off (i.e., you pressed and held Power, then tapped Power Off), and then you power back on again, it should go through the whole boot process where you see the Samsung splash screen for around 15-20 seconds, then the lockscreen shows up. If the phone was just asleep, then pressing power would just bring up the lockscreen quickly. This is an important distinction, because there are times when a phone that is only asleep may not get any incoming messages.

Ah, I understand what you mean now. Yeah, I have to do a whole boot procedure again when it turns itself off.

Giorgi16

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode prior to going to sleep, then see if it happens again. Do this for several nights. If it doesn't shut down by itself, then something you installed may be causing instability. Safe Mode steps are in this article:
Thank you, I will try it out.