Is $200 a good price for a used AT&T Locked S4?

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't buy the phone from CL you might find out later that it was not finished with its contract or stolen.
To answer about the unlock though you would have to pay someone to give you the code and I'm pretty sure you can use it with tmobile.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is $200 a good price for a used AT&T Locked S5?

Price seems ok for S4 if it's in good condition. I'd rather use Swappa or Glyde to buy a used phone.

Sent from my LG-G2 running SlimLP

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

$200 seems okay but I would meet the seller at an AT&T corporate store and have them verify that everything is copacetic before any money changed hands.

📐♻from the Note Edge🔍

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Thank you guys. He is OK with testing the phone and confirming that it's out of payment plan/etc.. So with that in mind is $200 a good deal for a used but in good shape S5? I think it's a good deal, I mean isn't S5 like last gen, almost current Gen since S6 is just released now. S5 is like iPhone 5S or 5C but with better hardware, no?

Let me put it this way
Galaxy S5 or Moto G 2nd Gen?

I think the answer will be bias towards S5 since this is Sammy section of the forum, but if you can say why it would be really great. :)

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

$200 for an S5 is a steal, I'd do it if the phone isn't stolen or still on a payment plan.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6+ 

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

A SGH-I337 doesn't sound like an AT&T S5. My AT&T S5 is a SM-G900A.

Yes, until... see below.

$200 for an S5 is a steal, I'd do it if the phone isn't stolen or still on a payment plan.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6+ 

Yep, turns out he made a "MISTAKE" it's actually S4, not S5.. So the whole thing changes now.. I guess you guys would assume S4 at $200 is not a good deal, or is it still workable?
PS: He is not the only one with $200 S4, so I am talking about in general, there are several Swappa listings for $200 too, so I can go with any one of them, just need to know if S4 is a good deal at $200?

Maybe we should ask Mod to move this to S4 forums..
This is why you always double check and ask for more info when trying to buy from CL! Maybe it was an honest mistake, maybe he was trying to screw me with last minute "oh sorry, it's 4 not 5" when I got pick up.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I answered the OP assuming it was S4 based on price and I337. Used S5 would be around 330-350. Still think it's a decent price as long as S4 is in very good condition. Maybe try to get it for 175.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

The updates on S4 (official) are stuck at 4.4, right? No 5 for S4?
Also, if I remember correctly, does S4 screen have the proximity sensor? I remember it had something like that similar to Note where you hover your finger over the screen to zoom in and out of pictures?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I think S4 is supposed to eventually get an official 5.0 update, but it's been delayed due to various issues.

S4 does indeed have a proximity sensor. Air view/gesture and smart pause/scroll are features included on S4.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I picked up a used S5 for $350 on eBay. Now I have two for god knows what reason... of course I checked and made sure the seller was reputable and the phone was not blacklisted :) there are great deals out there & of course there are always scammers out there too.. at least with eBay and PayPal you have some pretty good protection as a buyer
I'd go used S5 for just a little more cash but I understand sometimes that's hard to come by

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Buying from Craigslist is the safest way. You insist on meeting at the carriers store so it can be checked to see if it is clear.
Other stores online are notorious for selling stolen phones as well as eBay sellers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Not all ebay sellers are evil, some of the larger ones actually take in phones for refurbishment from the Carrier's and then resell them & give you a return period in most cases. that's what I look for when I shop for phones on eBay reputable sellers :)
your advice is solid but it's not the only way...

Last edited:

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Buying from Craigslist is the safest way. You insist on meeting at the carriers store so it can be checked to see if it is clear.
Other stores online are notorious for selling stolen phones as well as eBay sellers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buying from craigslist is NOT the safest way, Ebay and purchasing through paypal is.

You can get mugged for your money just going to meet the person.
Unless they actually meet you first time at the store location but even that's a BIG if they meet you.
You could just be wasting your time with craiglisters.
Ebay and Amazon all they way, plus you are protected by your debit or bank card either way.

To the OP you posted in the title that it was an S4 and then in a posted that it was a s5 but either way.
$200 for the S5 is good but the S4 should be around $100-150 tops.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Buying from craigslist is NOT the safest way, Ebay and purchasing through paypal is.

Unless they actually meet you first time at the store location but even that's a BIG if they meet you.
Ebay and Amazon all they way, plus you are protected by your debit or bank card either way.

To the OP you posted in the title that it was an S4 and then in a posted that it was a s5 but either way.
I've sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist. A lot. I pride myself on being the kind of seller most would be happy to buy from again and again and I'm not the exception, special, or anything. Most people are not out to scam you or do shadyness. Some may be but the vast majority are not.

Be smart and meet the seller/buyer in a very public place or carrier store. Out of all the things I've sold I've never had a bad experience.

♻from the Note 4 📶

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Wow, there is no way you can find an S4 for $100-$150 tops and in good condition. I've been looking, no way, especially from sellers you mentioned since there are fees involved. If you find one on ebay or amazon, please let me know...... If you said S3, MAYBE, but S4 market is now at $175 to $225 depending on condition and I believe that's a fair price.

The reason CL is attractive, there are no fees, and of course no guarantee either, that's why prices are low and it's all cash.
I think CL is pretty safe depending on where you live and do the transaction but with anything over $100 you run the risk of being mugged, yes that is very real.

chris4661

May 23, 2013
Visit site

There's people out there who will sell lower then their asking price just can't be afraid to ask. Mine was posted for 350 😊