Why has Chrome stopped working after a recent update from Play Store?

A

AC Question

Chrome not working after recent update from Play Store

I recently updated my stock non-rooted Galaxy S4 to Lollipop and its' basically OK (I'm not a power user) but I have a serious problem with Chrome. I ran the latest update (41.0.2272.94) as suggested and now Chrome won't open at all. I just get the message "Unfortunately Chrome has stopped". I've been into Application Manager and uninstalled all updates so it supposedly returns Chrome to factory settings. It looks like it's about to work but the errors out with the same message. What can I do to sort this? I really like using Chrome but I'm not Joe Android-Expert so don't know where to go next.

tzahi12345

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Chrome not working after recent update from Play Store

Having the same problem here, I guess maybe you can roll back to the old update? I think I'll just of that until they patch it again.

EDIT: just tried to uninstall the update, still crashes. Uh oh. I guess I'll just use chrome beta lol.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

First try clearing chrome cache. Go to settings, apps, tap on Chrome and select "clear cache". Clearing data could work as well, but you'll lose any personal information you had in the chrome app. If you don't mind that or have those data synced it's highly recommended.

tzahi12345

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

^^Listen to this guy. Had to clear my data, but at least I didn't have to use chrome beta.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys, just a question. Had you enabled any chrome flags before the update?