Lollipop upgrade and battery

Labhras

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I received the notification of the new lollipop upgrade (at least I suppose, since it claimed 1gb to update) and I wanted to know about possible battery drain and/or data-wifi problems. Should I wait for the next upgrade or is it safe enough?
My battery life with the s4 isn't that great - I'm currently recalibrating it - so I wanted to know about the promised improved battery life with Project Volta.
Another question, would the upgrade equal to a factory reset, and therefore have a "new install" on the phone or would it be like any other upgrade, leaving data and caches where they are?
Finally, in case of problems with lollipop, is there any way to go back to kitkat without rooting?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded my S4 to lollipop as well. It's just my backup device that I sometimes pop my SIM into. Can't really say one way or the other on battery life, just because it's not my main phone. So far my biggest beef is with Chrome - I haven't found an easy way to switch between tabs. It takes multiple taps whereas on KitKat it was 2.

This is an upgrade, so all your data and cache's are untouched. That being said I usually grab an upgrade and then once it's installed, I do a factory reset. This way apps can settle in with the new OS rather then possibly causing issues from working with an updated OS. (I just grabbed the update Friday evening, so I'll probably do a factory reset tonight and let everything download and install).

As far as downgrading without root, no. It's just the way Android is set up. To downgrade, you'd have to root and install a ROM based off KitKat instead. If you're not sure, just hold off. Wait for more information from people who use the S4 as a daily driver.

Of course, you're probably going to hear far more negatives in the forums then positives. Keep in mind most people who post here are posting about things they don't like or are having problems with. Very very few will come and post about all the positives they are finding and experiencing - so remember to take everything you read with a grain of salt - and yes, that includes this post too! ;)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The various bugs, like poor battery life, depend not only on the phone model but on the carrier. Each one makes its own modifications to the ROM, and one of them can mess up while the others don't. (There is one battery issue that Samsung addressed - it's a bug fix to the update on a lot of phones, and you don't see any change in version.)

To install a KitKat ROM you don't root - that's like washing your hands before getting them dirty. You're rooting the Lollipop ROM just to replace it with an unrooted KitKat ROM. That doesn't make any sense. See [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN for flashing Samsung phones.