Can I get some help with a weak wifi connection I have on my S4?

rncotton

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
S4 - Weak WiFi connection, garbled Bluetooth audio

I've been very happy with my Galaxy S4 for quite some time, and even though Verizon's service may have some nasty coverage holes in my area, I can't fault that to the phone, and with the network extender provided by VZW, at least we got service at the house again. Now, on to my problem:

About a month ago, my phone stopped staying connected to WiFi. It would drop constantly. My wife's identical S4 had no problems. Even at work, I couldn't stay connected to WiFi with the AP less than 50 feet away. Using WiFi Analyzer, I could see that I was barely registering any WiFi signal, and it would drop even further. After trying everything I could think of, including opening the phone and cleaning / reseating the antenna connectors, I finally ended up doing a wipe / Factory Reset. Same problem.

After the reset, of course I had to pair the phone with the car's in-vehicle Bluetooth. It paired fine, but the audio is garbled and filled with static. It had been fine before. I can't help but think these two things must be related.

In the interest of full disclosure, back in May of 2014, I got caught in a monsoon of torrential rain and my phone was completely soaked in my pocket. I did not power it on while wet, and when I got home I disassembled the phone and placed all the pieces in rice and set the whole setup on top of my surround sound receiver for some low heat. After letting it sit for 3 or 4 days, I put it all back together and it worked fine.

A few months later I had some internal speaker issues, so I pulled it apart again and cleaned all the contacts in case there was some corrosion, which immediately solved the problem.

Since then, I've had no problems, until now ... so in short: Extremely weak WiFi signal that eventually drops completely after 5 minutes or less, and garbled / static filled Bluetooth audio.

Any suggestions? Of course I'm not due for an upgrade until January 2016, and I'm always leery of buying a used phone over the internet. So I'm trying to bring mine back to use so I can stop using my mobile data allotment and get back to WiFi for data.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: S4 - Weak WiFi connection, garbled Bluetooth audio

Welcome to Android Central! The history of the phone getting wet is very important, because water damage can cause delayed effects, as corrosion slowly develops in the circuitry. See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ow-s/477140-guide-oh-no-my-phone-got-wet.html. Unfortunately, there might not be much you can do. If you take it to a repair shop, they might try replacing some of the wi-fi or Bluetooth components, but the problem is that there might be other water damage as well which can't be fixed, and so you'd have spent money needlessly on a repair that didn't work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes