Lock screen has white block text/numbers

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Recently upgraded my wife's GS4 to Lollipop. wife was having issues with the phone. Don't ask as I have no idea what they are. She just started pressing menus and trying to fix it herself. She changed to easy mode which I managed to change to standard mode. On the lockscreen, the date and time are white blocks and I have tried going through all the menus and can't figure out how to fix it. Can anyone help?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lock Screen Issues

Recently upgraded my wife's GS4 to Lollipop. wife was having issues with the phone. Don't ask as I have no idea what they are. She just started pressing menus and trying to fix it herself. She changed to easy mode which I managed to change to standard mode. On the lockscreen, the date and time are white blocks and I have tried going through all the menus and can't figure out how to fix it. Can anyone help?
It looks like wiping cache will fix the problem; however, it may reoccur. Take a look at this thread with people having the same issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...mbers-turn-into-white-squares-rectangles.html

I don't think the problem is known. Let us know if wiping cache works: power off the device. Hold volume down+home+power on until recovery loads. Use volume down to highlight wipe cache and power to accept. Keep us posted.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not quite clear on what's showing on her lockscreen. Is it just date and time in white block letters and numbers at the top? Do notifications show there too? What was it that used to appear on that screen?

The lockscreen changed pretty dramatically in Lollipop, at least on my Verizon S4. I no longer have multiple lockscreen pages or the ability to place any widgets or app shortcuts on the lockscreen other than phone and camera, a real loss in my view. OTOH, it is now possible to see notifications there, which I like (not everyone does, I know). But I was used to having a personal message in a font of my choosing appear on the lockscreen, along with time and date. I complained on a different forum site about this no longer working, and a Verizon rep said to go into Settings > Sounds and Notifications > While Locked, and choose "Do Not Show Notifications." This did restore my customized message, but of course then I didn't see the notifications on the lockscreen. I'm still waiting for clarification on whether this is the intended functioning or whether there is any way to have both notifications and personal message (or customized clock size) on Lollipop lockscreens. And of course, things might be somewhat different on AT&T or other carriers' phones.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

It looks like wiping cache will fix the problem; however, it may reoccur. Take a look at this thread with people having the same issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...mbers-turn-into-white-squares-rectangles.html

I don't think the problem is known. Let us know if wiping cache works: power off the device. Hold volume down+home+power on until recovery loads. Use volume down to highlight wipe cache and power to accept. Keep us posted.

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Volume down was restart. When the restart was complete, the white blocks were gone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
Tried it again. Got manual mode. Cleared the cache. Restarted. Appears to be just fine. Thanks once again.

My wife was an Apple user until we got my son an i5s to replace his GS4 which became my wife's phone which is now running Lollipop. She is still not sold on Android.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Tried it again. Got manual mode. Cleared the cache. Restarted. Appears to be just fine. Thanks once again.

My wife was an Apple user until we got my son an i5s to replace his GS4 which became my wife's phone which is now running Lollipop. She is still not sold on Android.
Glad you got it cleared; hopefully it doesn't come back. On that note, I know what you mean. My wife had an OG Evo many years ago...didn't like it and has been on iOS ever since. Either way, it lets me dabble on iOS to know a little about it and still have the best of Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2