Samsung Galaxy S4 USB port issue

eXp0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Greetings to you all,

So my issue is similar to many threads I've read on the internet whilst I've owned what has turned out to be a nightmare: S4.

I bought my S4 around 2 years ago, over that time I've replaced the charger port around 7 times.. I am a heavy user and do charge daily, many times twice. (The battery of the S4 being pathetic is another topic for another day)

So you wonder, 'ok what can be the problem? this guy replaced the port and they are cheap on eBay so what gives?'

Let's begin.

1. Problem as usual, red light top right hand corner of the phone and so the charge symbol on the battery has stopped displaying, so I think 'ok, perhaps this time the battery really has give up.' Nope

2. Replaced battery with 2 different spares to check if battery problem. Nope

3. I keep spare charging ports because yea, it comes with the territory of owning a/my S4 at least. So I replace the charging port not once but twice because the problem persisted. Each time I get around 10% on to the standard battery as normal, then once more the red light starts flashing. So has this work? Nope.

I'm now left with 2 options which is to see if someone can suggest another part to replace or to sell it on eBay for spares/repairs.

Every thread I look at has the simple solution, just replace the charger port and carry on. So what do you try when not even that solves the problem?

Many thanks for reading the thread and have a wonderful day.
- eXp0

PS. (Couple of questions I'll answer to avoid people wasting their time)

Have you tried connecting the phone to your computer via USB?

Yes I have, it does connect and I can transfer data but the phone gains no charge from being connected.

Have you tried using a different plug head and USB cable to charge?

Yes and Yes, the phone has even been testing taking a charge from a battery pack over electrical plug but no luck.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as if the charging circuitry in the phone has developed a problem. Unless one of the battery pins on the phone is bad (you can see that if you look closely - tip broken off, bent, etc.), you probably need a new motherboard. Since you can disassemble the phone, it's your choice whether to spend US$30-$100 (depends on the model) on a new motherboard or sell the phone for parts. Since a working used one is worth about $150, it might not pay to fix it, unless it uses one of the cheaper motherboards.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a wireless charging pad and the black part that goes inside the phone off Ebay! This saves a whole lot of wear and tear on the USB Port and the charging cable! The wireless charging adapter and pad can be had for under $15. You do not have to have a special back. the adapter is thin enough to fit on top of the battery and then reinstall the back! This works for me!

eXp0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
It sounds as if the charging circuitry in the phone has developed a problem. Unless one of the battery pins on the phone is bad (you can see that if you look closely - tip broken off, bent, etc.), you probably need a new motherboard. Since you can disassemble the phone, it's your choice whether to spend US$30-$100 (depends on the model) on a new motherboard or sell the phone for parts. Since a working used one is worth about $150, it might not pay to fix it, unless it uses one of the cheaper motherboards.

Hey Rukbat,

I figured this also whilst I was offline, was already looking them up when i read your post and so I'm glad I got a second opinion on this before I came to the conclusion, too costly to repair and this S4 of mine has always been a rogue for me. EBay it is. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I purchased a wireless charging pad and the black part that goes inside the phone off Ebay! This saves a whole lot of wear and tear on the USB Port and the charging cable! The wireless charging adapter and pad can be had for under $15. You do not have to have a special back. the adapter is thin enough to fit on top of the battery and then reinstall the back! This works for me!

Hey extraclass,

Yes indeed I did go in fact do this, it will be a handy way to get around the problem until I'm ready to get rid of the phone in a few weeks. Thanks for taking the time to reply.