SG S4 wifi/bluetooth Software or Hardware issue, what could it be?

A

AC Question

SG S4 wifi/bluetooth Software or Hardware issue

Hello
Can someone please help me with a problem i have on my galaxy s4, GT i9505, version 5.0.1. The phone was an upgrade from carphone warehouse on O2.

Last year i took my phone to carphone warehouse after i damaged the screen and they sent it out to be fixed, when i got it back i was unable to turn on bluetooth and wifi, (buttons go light green for a second then turns off) the wifi doesnt even turn on long enough to search for networks, phone connects to O2 and i am able to use mobile data no problem.
After doing a little research online i came across a fix that worked for me, (power down, hold vol up and power button till 'recovery boot' in small blue text appears, then release, eureka, wifi and bluetooth back on, this worked flawlessly until i lost power to my phone, (battery died) when i powered back up the same problem occured, so i repeated my fix (took around 5-10 attempts) and again this solved it, then the update to 5.0.1 came out so i upgraded it and of course the phone reboots after upgrade so i lost connection again and had to repeat my fix, this time it took maybe 20-30 attempts but i still managed to get it back on, then of course i lost power again and lost connection, this time no matter how many times i tried my fix
nothing, so i left it. Approx 2 weeks later i woke to find wifi and bluetooth were on, ??? inevitably i lost power again and have not been able to fix since.

I have tried battery pull, wifi power saver on/off etc, i have no power saving apps running and eventually did a factory reset, all to no avail.

Eventually i decided to strip the phone down to check all connectors, all good, but i did notice the antenna has a slight twist in it, (quick question, is this cable used for both carrier, mobile data, or is it just for bluetooth and wifi reception) if it is used for both then it can't be the antenna as i can still make/recieve calls and use mobile data.
I also noticed that the wifi power IC looks faded in one corner, (Matt grey all over, shiny faded in one corner) could this be a wifi/bluetooth power IC failure?.

The phone is locked and has knox so i have not really looked into rooting but my contract is now due for an upgrade so i am willing to try anything even if there is a chance of bricking.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

lee.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz