Soft keys(Samsung s4) not working after an update

Elmojo

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Well it would apear that as warthog55 has already posted that it is in fact the Display Assembly that has been damaged. I have never come across anything like this before. I have well over 28 years as a Firmware Engineer and this is a first.
As most of you on here have posted I did the automatic firmware upgrade after which the soft keys stopped working. It was not dropped or exposed to any fluids during or after the upgrade. So that only leaves the actual firmware or the upgrade process. I obviously don't have the schematics to work out what could have happened. At a wild guess I would look for something voltage related to these keys. If the voltage to these keys is programmable from the firmware. I have the Snapdragon 600 version as most European S4s will do. As the problem for me was just the soft keys it would be the most likely place to start. As I posted above my phone is now working perfectly after Samsung replaced the Display Assembly. I did read somewhere that someone had gone back in versions of firmware and that they got the keys to work again. How reliable that post was I don't know.
I hope this help in some way for those of you still trying to fix the problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

MightyPeanut

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Folks,

I just want to say thanks for all of your input so far. I have been following this thread for a while as I have had the same issue as you all. Bl**dy soft keys have gone walkabout!

Unfortunately for me I have no Samsung support as I'm using a pre-loved S4 after my device decided to retire itself. And although I am more than technically capable to replace the digitiser and screen I decided to look for a low/zero cost option. I have found a suitable sidestep that i think is worth considering as it gives near normal function. Please find following the steps to enable the onscreen soft keys. These can be used if you don't have to worry about invalidating warranties.

1: Root the device - I used free app called Kingo ROOT. It was a relatively pain free procedure. (You can research the steps to use this yourself.)
2: Install a decent File Explorer App that can be given Super User permissions to the devive - I used ES File Manager from the Play Store
3: Start the File Explorer app and in the settings you should be able to give the app Super User permissions. Also change the settings to show hidden files/folders
4: Browse to the ROOT of the device storage
5: Open the './system/' folder and locate the 'build.prop' file for editing
6: Add the following line to the end: qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
7: Close, saving changes
8: Reboot the device

Its not a perfect solution but at least you'll have interactive soft keys without spending any cash on new hardware.

I hope this helps guys

Credit must go to User "steevaavoo" - (http://forums.androidcentral.com/members/steevaavoo-2313210/) as i used some of the steps that he provided in the following post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...sable-capacitative-keys-enable-soft-keys.html

Elmojo

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
That has added to the mystery MightyPeanut. I too saw this method of a fix. So I checked it when I got my phone back from Samsung. Guess what, I don't have that line in the props file. As my phone is working perfectly without it opens a whole new set of questions.

MightyPeanut

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
That has added to the mystery MightyPeanut. I too saw this method of a fix. So I checked it when I got my phone back from Samsung. Guess what, I don't have that line in the props file. As my phone is working perfectly without it opens a whole new set of questions.

ElmoJo,

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If your phone has been fixed then you won't need my suggestion or the extra line in the props file.

My instructions are for those people who can't have their phones fixed by Samsung under warranty, or can't pay to have the buttons fixed by anyone else.

The line in the props file adds replacement buttons on the bottom of the DISPLAY, hence sidestepping the ones burned out by the Lollipop upgrade. You lose about 7mm off the bottom of the screen. It's not 100%, but the solution is an acceptable workaround.

Elmojo

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Apologies for the confusion. I should have made my point clearer. I do not accept that this issue is an out of warranty problem. If the official update damages your phone then this is much more than a warranty issue. In fact it would open the door for manufactures to do this deliberately as a means of forcing us to buy later versions of their phones.
Samsung were a little shocked that I still had my proof of purchase.
It is not reasonable for Samsung or any other manufacturer to claim that this issue requires an active warranty. When the firmware/software seems to be the cause of this problem. Unless this problem is somehow related to a previously damaged component caused by misuse.
So my point is that this issue has a cause that has still to be fully explained. The fact that the phone is out of active warranty is not a valid position for them to use in this particular situation.

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure glad I found this. I had been thinking about unrooting my S4 so I could get the Lollipop update. I've been hesitant about updating for the last couple of years. In fact, I rooted so I could delete the system updater and prevent KitKat 4.4.2 from wrecking my phone. I've been seeing some pretty bad updates the last few years, but this... this is ridiculous! Actually burning out parts of the front screen area. Unheard of.. til this. In NO way should the owner be responsible for this. Samsung is always trying to avoid any kind of responsibility for damages not caused by the buyer. .....

Please help.I can't save the text I added...it says "can't write file" and "read only file system" ...how can I fix it?

Arianne, please make sure your file management app is given Superuser Permissions. Otherwise it will not be allowed to write in a system folder. You could also try this... copy the build.prop file to a folder on your SD card. Download the app "Simple Text Editor". Run the app, open the copy of "build.prop" file on the SD card. Add the specific line mentioned. Save the file . Niw open your file manager app. Make sure to give Superuser permissions. Go to the /system folder and delete the build.prop there... now go to your SD card and (Copy) that version of build.prop . Go back to /system folder and paste that file. Or.. if it wont let you delete, just copy the version on the SD card and then paste in the /system folder (overwriting the other version)

Last edited by a moderator:

s0lara

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Folks,

I just want to say thanks for all of your input so far. I have been following this thread for a while as I have had the same issue as you all. Bl**dy soft keys have gone walkabout!

Unfortunately for me I have no Samsung support as I'm using a pre-loved S4 after my device decided to retire itself. And although I am more than technically capable to replace the digitiser and screen I decided to look for a low/zero cost option. I have found a suitable sidestep that i think is worth considering as it gives near normal function. Please find following the steps to enable the onscreen soft keys. These can be used if you don't have to worry about invalidating warranties.

1: Root the device - I used free app called Kingo ROOT. It was a relatively pain free procedure. (You can research the steps to use this yourself.)
2: Install a decent File Explorer App that can be given Super User permissions to the devive - I used ES File Manager from the Play Store
3: Start the File Explorer app and in the settings you should be able to give the app Super User permissions. Also change the settings to show hidden files/folders
4: Browse to the ROOT of the device storage
5: Open the './system/' folder and locate the 'build.prop' file for editing
6: Add the following line to the end: qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
7: Close, saving changes
8: Reboot the device

Its not a perfect solution but at least you'll have interactive soft keys without spending any cash on new hardware.

I hope this helps guys

Credit must go to User "steevaavoo" - (http://forums.androidcentral.com/members/steevaavoo-2313210/) as i used some of the steps that he provided in the following post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...sable-capacitative-keys-enable-soft-keys.html

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Hfs Sta

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Cant edit or replace build.prop: "Read-only file system"
Have SuperSu to grant permission. But EsFileExplorer does not request permission. Nothing under Es..Settings. Other apps request and granted OK.
Rooted ok, Android 5.0.1
Properties of build.prop and System show:
readable: yes
writable: yes
Hidden : no
How do I modify build.prop?
thanks for any help to get my I9505 to give me soft buttons?

la morenita

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
have they fixed you phone in the store for free??? I have the same issue and I took it to the support centre just to be told that I have to pay for it to be fixed as it is out of warranty. It s just unrealistic

la morenita

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
For those who encounter this issue I have found a temporary solution posted on youtube, is working but is a bit of a hassle , but then you can have acces to back and menu options. SETTINGS>>MY DEVICE>>ACCESSIBILITY>>DEXTERITY AND INTERACTION>>ASSISTANT MENU turn it on. Hope it helps. Is helping me while I await for a reply from Samsung as I am not going to pay(they asked me to pay for repair as the phone is 3 years old) for them to repair it when it is not my fault an not a waranty issue.

Rick Schweitzer

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Well it would apear that as warthog55 has already posted that it is in fact the Display Assembly that has been damaged. I have never come across anything like this before. I have well over 28 years as a Firmware Engineer and this is a first.
As most of you on here have posted I did the automatic firmware upgrade after which the soft keys stopped working. It was not dropped or exposed to any fluids during or after the upgrade. So that only leaves the actual firmware or the upgrade process. I obviously don't have the schematics to work out what could have happened. At a wild guess I would look for something voltage related to these keys. If the voltage to these keys is programmable from the firmware. I have the Snapdragon 600 version as most European S4s will do. As the problem for me was just the soft keys it would be the most likely place to start. As I posted above my phone is now working perfectly after Samsung replaced the Display Assembly. I did read somewhere that someone had gone back in versions of firmware and that they got the keys to work again. How reliable that post was I don't know.
I hope this help in some way for those of you still trying to fix the problem.

New to this forum, but not the problem.

I had not one but two S4s with the exact same issue. The OTA software update killed the menu and return keys. The version was 5.0.1, software date of November 2015. A previous update of August 2015 worked fine.

These phones were only 30 days old. Essentially, leftover new stock. One phone the vendor I purchased from took it back for full credit! The second one they couldn't as it was greater than 60 days since purchased. This was my fault as I spent 30 days trying to fix it.

I contacted Samsung support and any phone out of warranty was $$$ to fix. I argued that this was not a warranty issue, it is a problem Samsung caused with two phones and I have proof. In any case, I manged to get a reasonable repair cost and took it. So, sending the phone in for repair.

And yes, I tried every conceivable method to fix the issue and nothing worked. Also, this phone had a case and a glass screen protector and is in mint condition. I treat my electronics with kids gloves.

How many S4 owners have experienced this problem and trashed a perfectly good phone for a new one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae