Soft keys(Samsung s4) not working after an update

Wilkinson Pugay

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Please help!!!
My S4 is version 5.0.1 then an update came yesterday. I guess it is just some enhancment update and it took around 30mins to finish. After the said update, my soft keys both back and menu buttons are not working anymore, no lights too. Please help. Thank you very much!!! I already had a factory reset but still the soft keys are not functioning.

jspaih

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
HI ...
ive just downloaded that update and faced the same problem ... i tried to enter safe mode but its not working
any other solution please .
thanks

Massha Brancin

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have the same problem - soft keys not working after auto updating of software from unknown to 5.0.1

I did firmware downgrade with odin from 5.0.1 to 4.4.2 and soft keys are still not working.
Are there several types of same version of firmware? or is there any other kind of problem?

elettronicpassion

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
//forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/help/problems-official-update-signal-soft-t3250132/post63904021#post63904021

Have a look at this. I haven't tried yet because I have Internet out of order at the moment. If you try, let us know the result.
Thanks

Nahim Ahmed

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I have created an account on here today especially as my buttons have ceased to work. I have done a factory reset and ran it in safe mode and the buttons are still not responding.

Would very much appreciate a solution for this.

Martin3107

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I have created an account on here today especially as my buttons have ceased to work. I have done a factory reset and ran it in safe mode and the buttons are still not responding.

Would very much appreciate a solution for this.

Hi I have same problem and I've tried everything so I contacted Samsung and apparently the only way to fix is to take it to your nearest Samsung store and they can do it whilst you wait and there is no charge for this to be fixed as it's a firmware/software problem

Last edited by a moderator:

xAgonyofArix

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I can't believe this happened after the update. I guess I'm lucky,because my buttons work, but the back button doesn't light up anymore. I just turned the other light off too.

Posted via the Android Central App

Elmojo

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I testing day at the Samsung Experience store Leeds UK yesterday. I have the non function back and menu problem too. The Salesman went off behind the scenes to talk to the engineers and came back and told me that the soft keys would have to be replaced. I asked him why. He said that the update bad blown the keys. I should point out that I am an MSc Computer Science and have been a Firmware Engineer for over 30 years. I have never heard of anything like that happening in that time. As we usually blow the prototypes in a very short period of time long before customers get hold of anything.
He then said he could replace it for free with a S6. As you can imagine this came as shock. A happy one at that. I then decided this can’t be right. So I asked him why. He said my phone was out of warranty and because of that they would not carry out any work on it. After more questions his idea was to sell me a contract phone. Nice one Samsung infact almost cruel.
I then pushed him on why the keys had blown. He stumbled came out with a load of rubbish. I told him that the ARM I/O ports would be 3.3v and it was very unlikely that 5v or 12v would be anywhere near them. I asked him if he understood that it was the Samsung Lollipop 5.0.1 update that has caused the problem to your own hardware and that I didn’t consider this a warranty issue. He then gave me the number for customer support they then gave me the warranty not active. After about an hour of going around in circles they then said if I had proof of purchase I could get my warranty active. Who has this after everything works for a period time. I do this must have come as a shock to them.
I then had to travel all the way home and contact them again to email them the proof of purchase. However, the guy I talked to on that occasion seemed to get the point of what I had been saying all day. The main problem he said was that they were not aware of this issue. So there is no fix in the pipeline for the soft key issue. As the new lollipop 5.1.1 is now being rolled out I can’t see it having a fix.
So a lack of calls to Samsung to highlight this issue has not helped.
However, how this and the other issues well known on this site got past testing on S4 and S5 devices is nothing short of an embarrassment for developers at Samsung. As these issues started to come to light 5 months ago l find it difficult to forgive. Then to be treated as I was by support in the Leeds store and then the Sheffield Customer Support people only goes to show a lack of respect.
I am now waiting to find out what they are going to do about their software not working on their hardware. The automated update doesn’t give you the chance to go back. Yes I could use Kies or root my phone. But that would cause Samsung more room to tell me all about terms, conditions and Company policy. I don’t think I want to lose the will to live again. I don’t consider this a warranty issue. So come on Samsung you have messed up big time now fix it

brettbjc

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Please eveyone on who has posted kn here and reading this. This is affecting 1000s of people with s4 and s5. Samsung knew about this problem 5 months ago when the uodate came out and not stopped anyone from updating to this faulty update, nor have they tried to fix the problem. Please just spend 5 mins of your time to go to the watch dog website on bbc to report it. It really doesnt take long to fill out form. Just type the problem we are all having. Samsung wont reacte to forums complaining. So lets get this on tv so we can get this problem sorted out. The more people complaining to watch dog, the more chance they will run the storey

Jt Justus

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm facing the same issue, after a kies update to lollipop 5.0.1 my soft keys fail to work, any solutions?

Elmojo

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I have now sent my phone to Samsung and it is back and working perfectly. After several heated discussions with Samsung support they claim to be in the dark to this problem. I at first thought that it can't be possible. However, if you look on the Samsung site you will find some very poorly explained complaints about this issue. So this might explain to some extent the poor response from Samsung on this issue. As I said in my recent email I am a firmware engineer myself so I backed up everything before and after the Samsung fixed it. Hopefully I will have time to find what they did in the configuration to fix the problem. Of course I will share anything I find that is helpful. Luckily I still had my reciept and went through the lengthy process to my phone fixed. I am still very unhappy with the Salesman in the Leeds store who said I could have an S6 as a replacement. He knows who he is and he should be ashamed of himself.

WartHog55

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Got the same issue too, During an update to Lollipop the lower part of the screen was getting quite hot. After update the light buttons didn't lit up anymore and also didn't work. Tried a lot to recover the light buttons but nothing helped. I had to replaced the complete screen LCD+Front digitizer and now all is in perfect working order. Nothing else will help.. If the light buttons are gone after an firmware update to lollipop you're screwed..
:'(