How do I do a restart with no power button, no root, and no computer?

ghinky

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
how to restart with no power button, no root, and no computer?

I have quite a pickle.

I work on a campus with spotty cell coverage, especially inside of larger buildings. I get the X next to the signal strength meter. Problem #1 is that ever since the Android 5.0 upgrade if my phone has no coverage for more than a few minutes it will just give up and not reconnect until I restart. Anyone know what to do about this? If so please tell me and forget the rest of this post. I've tried airplane mode on and off and changing the network type from Global to CDMA to GSM and back. No joy.

I've been working around this problem for months with daily restarts.

Problem #2 is my power button died. I can start up using a USB connection on a computer and I can restart using an adb command, again from a computer. This wasn't a satisfactory workaround since I'm not always near a computer when I need to use my phone.

I tried to find a way to use an alternate button as the power button or use an app to trigger a restart but everything I found requires root.

From my adventures across the interwebs there's no known way to root a Verizon S4. I tried a couple methods which didn't work. My options on what to attempt are also limited because I can't attempt any that require the power button.

I bought some replacement switches off of ebay and tried to solder a replacement. Personally I don't know how anyone could replace such a switch. The contacts are surface mount which is annoying enough but the switch contacts are literally a fraction of a millimeter away from the switch casing and if you get solder on the contact and the casing you've shorted to ground and you're hosed.

Anyway, I failed to replace the switch and I'm pretty sure I've damaged the surface contacts in the process. I can't get the solder to stick at all. So power button isn't going to happen.

So, my questions are:

Any ideas on my reception issue?
Anyone know how to start / restart an S4 without a computer?
Anyone know how to root a Verizon S4?
Anyone know how to install an app that will restart an S4 without root?

jaimper

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I found this thread by chance, I had a similar case. This thread is old, anyway, for whom may be useful, I tried to fix a lost switch, the kind you describe, I took it to a service shop and the technician told me that he could solder the switch but the switch could detach again, so, I found no sense in paying for the repair if it will not last, it's such an small piece, and minimal contact points, difficult to put it back to its original soldering strength.
I found out that I could Turn it on with a metal piece, closing the circuit, bridging the bare soldering points left. Initially I used a paper clip with its two ends separated (I had to move it right and left until both contacts were touched, maybe tweezers could do the trick too), later I used another clip without modification, not bending and separating its ends, finally I found that an ac adapter flat metal contact worked well, and turned on the cell phone easily, I even could use it when on to bring up the menu to turn it off again, but I prefer to keep it on all the time and when I need to turn it off, my cell phone has a function in settings to schedule power on/off.

Capturar.PNG

sku_426530_5.jpg

Greetings

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Pull the battery and re install/ That will initiate a restart!
Check around and see which carrier has the best coverage and switch to them when you can.
Look for used phone on Ebay or Amazon. That may be cheaper than repair!

Cimi Lahun

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Re: how to restart with no power button, no root, and no computer?

I have quite a pickle.

I work on a campus with spotty cell coverage, especially inside of larger buildings. I get the X next to the signal strength meter. Problem #1 is that ever since the Android 5.0 upgrade if my phone has no coverage for more than a few minutes it will just give up and not reconnect until I restart. Anyone know what to do about this? If so please tell me and forget the rest of this post. I've tried airplane mode on and off and changing the network type from Global to CDMA to GSM and back. No joy.

I've been working around this problem for months with daily restarts.

Problem #2 is my power button died. I can start up using a USB connection on a computer and I can restart using an adb command, again from a computer. This wasn't a satisfactory workaround since I'm not always near a computer when I need to use my phone.

I tried to find a way to use an alternate button as the power button or use an app to trigger a restart but everything I found requires root.

From my adventures across the interwebs there's no known way to root a Verizon S4. I tried a couple methods which didn't work. My options on what to attempt are also limited because I can't attempt any that require the power button.

I bought some replacement switches off of ebay and tried to solder a replacement. Personally I don't know how anyone could replace such a switch. The contacts are surface mount which is annoying enough but the switch contacts are literally a fraction of a millimeter away from the switch casing and if you get solder on the contact and the casing you've shorted to ground and you're hosed.

Anyway, I failed to replace the switch and I'm pretty sure I've damaged the surface contacts in the process. I can't get the solder to stick at all. So power button isn't going to happen.

So, my questions are:

Any ideas on my reception issue?
Anyone know how to start / restart an S4 without a computer?
Anyone know how to root a Verizon S4?
Anyone know how to install an app that will restart an S4 without root?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.assistant.easytouch2&token=J31kmO79

There are more than one versions of these, but this one has the option to power off and to restart your device without root.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star