Why is my Galaxy S4 repeatedly booting into recovery menu?

JesterMcDuff

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S4 repeatedly booting into recovery menu

Hey guys,

I've come across a problem with my Galaxy S4, where it will do nothing but start up in the recovery menu. The phone powered off due to low battery life last night, and when I later tried charging it there was no indication of any power going into it - just a black screen along with a short vibration every 4-5 seconds or so. Turning the phone on, the Galaxy S4 logo will appear on the screen - but will immediately be followed by a quick flash of an Android icon saying "installing system update", which is then replaced by the "no command" icon and the phone then opens up the recovery menu.

I've already tried wiping the cache partition and rebooting to see if that will fix things, but the problem is still repeating. I've also tried to start the phone in safe mode, but am unable to do so; the Galaxy logo that appears during the time the safe mode button presses are made already contains text stating that it is recovery booting and seems set on doing that and nothing else.

Anybody got any ideas? It might be worth noting that the battery in the phone is the same one that was in there when I bought it brand new a couple of years ago, so it's definitely been put through its paces. I wondered at first if a simple change of battery might help, but the "installing system" update message that flashes up makes me think it might be something else entirely.

Cheers guys!