Updated s4 - Lost the Menu and back buttons

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I've had my s4 for a year now and not a single problem. Then last night I had an OTA update come through for Lollipop 5.0.1 (previously I was on kitkat, cant recall exact version). I've installed it and immediately notice that the back and menu buttons do not work, they dont even light up anymore. I have tried restarting the phone, full charging the phone and trying safe mode, none of which worked.

I have Nova installed and switched to the generic home software to see if that worked but to no avail.

Is there anything I can do? If rooting was an option, I would rather not as I don't want to loose access to my online banking or Sky Go.

Thank you.

robertandrewbain

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Resolved: Updated s4 - Lost the Menu and back buttons

I had the same issue last night when upgrading a Galaxy S4 to the latest over the wire Lollipop version.

The issue is caused by the firmware version for the buttons - I noticed a few people having similar issues on my travels. I downgraded to the version of Lollipop released in February, which I found at sammobile dot com slash firmwares.

I signed up for the free account (says download will be 15kbps but was 300kbsp) and followed the instructions using their downlink link to Odin. I had one problem during the "optimising applications" phase of the installation where it would hang with an error which I now forget but performed a factory reset and everything is working now. This problem seems so common, I wouldn't be Surprised if Samsung issue a hotfix soon.