My S4 won't charge properly?

Kyojins

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey there,

So my Galaxy S4 does not appear to be charging properly, I woke up this morning with it completely turned off, and was presented with a screen entitled "Download... Do not turn of target!" and after a while of fiddling around, I got the device to turn on again. My battery was charging slowly when the device was off, and when I turned it on, despite having the charger into the phone, it drained down to 0% then eventually turned off. The "Download... Do not turn off target!" screen has appeared for me yet again now, but it's completely turned off now, the screen is black. I'm now attempting to charge the phone, but it won't turn on at all, or even come up with the little thunderbolt signal to signal charging in progress. I also noticed that when the cable is in the phone, hissing sounds can be heard coming from within it.

Is there something wrong here? Is my charger/battery broken? It's awfully peculiar, since everything was working completely fine just yesterday...

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S4 for two years and have never seen anything like this before. My best guess is that it is some sort of a virus and/or a bad battery. My suggestion would be to head to a Best Buy and see if replacing the battery helps. Good luck!

Kyojins

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
It's definitely either the battery or phone.

I tried the usb cable with another android device and it charged complete fine... sigh...

Thank you for the reply though!

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I would do a RESTART on the phone and reconnect the charger. Look for the lightening bolt in the battery Icon. If this doesn't solve the problem try another charger and then try a new charging cable. If nothing else try it in your car with that charger and cable! Let us know what you find out!