Front camera laggy and doesn't take pictures with the highest quality

MysticDante

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello there, so I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 a month ago on Amazon, an I9500 model to be exact, and since the day I bought it I have noticed that my front camera is always laggy when "Auto Night mode" is turned on, the rear camera isn't that laggy when Auto Night mode is turned on, sometimes its FPS drop, but it isn't as bad as with the front camera. Plus, the pictures taken aren't of the best quality, they are good only when there's a really good source of lightning nearby.

I have searched about it a lot, and nothing has worked, I even tried to update my Android software and I'm on the latest one available for the S4, and nothing has changed.

Help would be massively appreciated, thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It might just be a limitation of the front camera module, which is usually going to be somewhat inferior to the rear-facing camera. But you can also check to see if some 3rd party app is interfering somehow, by booting into Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-11724

MysticDante

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It might just be a limitation of the front camera module, which is usually going to be somewhat inferior to the rear-facing camera. But you can also check to see if some 3rd party app is interfering somehow, by booting into Safe Mode.

Thanks!

I booted my phone into Safe Mode, and the problem persisted, thus it isn't an app interfering.

So, if it's a limitation of the front camera module as you say, how could I fix it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to say if it's an inherent limitation, or if it might be a defect. Do you know anyone else who has an S4 that you can compare with? If the other S4 works more smoothly, then it's probably a hardware or firmware defect in your phone.