No option to sync Google Contacts

M8822

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
Turning off the Power Save feature fixed this problem on my Galaxy s7 phone.

This did resolve the issue. thank you. apparently in order to save power samsung removes other sync options.

damn it not contacts i need contacts to be able to contact.

thanks

Davey126

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Another possible solution for anyone experiencing a similar issue (see OP):

...Need to give permissions to 'Google Contact Sync': settings->apps->gear icon->app permissions->contacts->3-dot menu->show system->google contacts sync

Navigation path is for Nexus 6.0.1 (AOSP) but should be similar for most MM/N based ROMs. There are other ways to access and provide permissions; above simply represents one approach.

Source: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72977307&postcount=76

AzizSakerwala

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
I only have 1 Google account, and yes, it is listed under the email address I have attached to that account. When I go to Settings>Accounts>Google, this is what I see:

my email address
Sign-in & security
Personal info & privacy
Account preferences

When I click on my email address, this is what I see:

Sync App Data
Sync Calendar
Sync Chrome
Sync Google Fit data
Sync People details (this is not Contacts - already verified this through a search I did since I wasn't sure if it had just been renamed)
Sync Picasa Web albums

There is no option for Sync Contacts, yet everything I've read says there should be. And at one point, I'm pretty sure it was there. However, I wasn't using Google Contacts at the time, so if/when it went away, I didn't notice it. Now that I'd like to start using my Google Contacts and Google Calendar, I don't see an option to Sync Contacts.

Did you see if Google contacts sync has permission to access your contacts? Go to settings, apps, show system apps in menu, scroll down to Google contacts app sync and check permissions.

If permissions are allotted, then go to Accounts in settings and turn off auto sync. Go back to Apps, show system apps and scroll to Contact Storage, delete its data after disabling it and then re-enable it. Then go to Accounts and turn on your auto-sync. That should do the trick.

fryerlawrence

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
My phone does not have Google Contact Sync and have same problem. So I obtain the apk and use the version suitable for my phone. Here is the link Google Contacts Sync 4.0.4-488656 APK Download by Google Inc. - APKMirror
Then after install, voila my google contact appear now and I can sync properly.

This did not work. I did use Webroot to double check for viruses before I sent the email to myself so that I could install the download.

The phone said that the file was corrupt and could not install it.

charliep88

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
My new Android 7.0 phone 360 N6 Pro was initially unable to sync because there was no "Sync Contacts" in the Google Account. The new phone has a setup category called Permissions which prevents certain apps from running on their own.

I downloaded Google Contacts and installed it and then went into Permissions for System Files and allowed the permissions for these files:

Contacts
Contacts Storage
Google Accounts
Google Contacts Sync

I rebooted the phone twice and voila! Google Contacts started syncing. All my contacts are on my new phone.

You need the Google Contacts Sync" App (Not "Contacts Sync") installed on your phone. This is a system App so you may already have it on your phone, you are just looking in the wrong place. Make sure to look at ALL the Apps including System Apps.

There are MANY versions of this file. The problem you are presently experiencing is probably because you are downloading a file which is not compatible with your version of Android. I suggest first going to Google Play on your phone and downloading Google Contacts and installing that file.

Nagasubramani

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
Solution

go to the settings>apps .
In the options , select to show system apps.
Then check for 'Google Contacts Sync', and enable it.
In addition to this
Then check for 'Google Account Manager', Add permission to contact and and enable the service.\

After doing this, go to settings>accounts run the sync.

Diego Hinojosa

Apr 11, 2018
Visit site
I had the same issue and none of these troubleshootings worked except for:

1) Download the Google Contacts App
2) It won't sync or show any contacts
3) Use the Restore options available
4) Refresh and then go to Settings/Accounts/Google.....the COntacts sync option will appear and syn.

Hi Ben,

After I tap show system process, I don't still see "Google Contacts Sync", I can see only below 4 starting with Google, not sure why?
  • Google Account Manager
  • Google Cast
  • Google Play services
  • Google Play Store
  • Google Services Framework

I am really appreciated your assistance.

Jim

lbabus

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem and none of these suggestions has worked. The google contact had been there but unsynced since Feb 2018 and now it is gone completely. See attachedScreenshot_20180416-173843_Settings.jpg Have allowed all access. When I go into Google contacts I see the contacts in the account. Help!

lbabus

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I just spoke with Samsung. The latest update created some bugs in the system including this one. Samsung offered to roll my S8 back to the previous system or I can wait until the new update comes out before the end of April fixing this. Geez, how I wish they could have told us this and saved me a lot of time and effort!

donaldmd13

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Oh, what a godsend. I cobbled together a couple things here and a big help to Charlie P up there (post #30 ), but my sticking point GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK. Do the following Settings>Apps>Show System>Google Services Framework>Permissions...and my Contacts was turned off. This is where you also check the other four things in Charlie's post. I turned GSF back on and viola! [three-finger-kiss]. What a pain in the butt that was for weeks. Thank you all! I hope this helps others.

Susie Black

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Got the fix. The reason was that the Google Contacts Sync was disabled somehow.
Fix-
go to the settings>apps .
Then check for 'Google Contacts Sync', and enable it.

After doing this, go to settings>accounts and uncheck and check the 'auto-sync data' option.

This will bring back the contacts sync option for the Google account.

Thanks,
Ben
I was having the same issues. Not sure if your solution worked or if it was the fact that I freed up some of my space and updated my apps. Either way, now I can see all my contacts and all my accounts are synced up to date. I followed your solution and free space/updated apps and now it is working. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid