I have a Samsung S4 LTE phone, and a Samsung Tab S LTE tablet:
    Data on the SIM in the phone is fairly cheap,
    Data on the SIM in the Tablet is expensive.
    Data via WiFi is virtually free and fast

Is there any way I can AUTOMATICALLY set the phone to turn on its WiFi hotspot when the Tab S needs data and there is no free WiFi, and turn it off again when the Tab S disconnects or there is a viable WiFi network around?
    04-14-2016 06:57 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Not that I am aware of. There are too many 'moving parts' in your example. Why not put the tablet in Airplane Mode until you need the data from it? You can have the device in Airplane mode and still use wifi (wifi has to be turned on again after airplane mode kicks in).
    Welcome to the forums. Not that I am aware of. There are too many 'moving parts' in your example. Why not put the tablet in Airplane Mode until you need the data from it? You can have the device in Airplane mode and still use wifi (wifi has to be turned on again after airplane mode kicks in).
    04-14-2016 09:25 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion but not quite what I am trying to achieve. At the very least I need a way to turn off the hot spot on the phone when I get to a suitable WiFi area. Unfortunately when the phone is in hotspot mode it can't tell if there is a WiFi network available for it to use.

The only thing I could think of is to set up a Bluetooth device at home and use AutomateIT to turn off the hotspot when the phone links to the Bluetooth. That way it would force the tablet to link to the WiFi network when I am at home and turn the Hotspot back on when I am away. However I am not sure if Bluetooth will work when the phone is in hotspot mode, or if AutomateIT can tell when Bluetooth links. It's not ideal because it will only achieve the desired result when I am at home, plus I think having the hotspot active whenever I am away from home would probably cause massive battery drain, but it would be a start if it would work. Does it sound workable?
    04-15-2016 04:00 AM