My Galaxy S4 won't turn on and asked to install custom software

GerGa

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
So my S4 today was down to 63% battery and shut off. It wouldn't turn on or even charge. Taking the battery out and back in got it to charge and turn on again, but it continued to turn off again, not charge. I just tried taking the battery out and put it back in and it would go to the galaxy s4 splash screen and be turn off after 2 seconds.
So I tried putting the battery in and quickly pressing the power, menu button on front(whatever its called), and the volume down button at the same time, which I thought was to get the screen for clearing the cache, but it went to a screen that said something like "installing a custom ROM/software can be dangerous, press up volume to continue". I pressed up volume to continue just for giggles beacuse at this point the phone seems done for. Well it went to a screen with a big android symbol and it says "downloading... Do not turn off target!", and is stuck on that screen. It also says what I think is "ODIN MODE" with some product information up in the upper left corner.

I don't remember downloading any software or anything for the phone, I don't even know how to install software on the phone or if its possible since it's a locked ATT S4.

I also just replaced the battery because the old one would go down fast and would sometimes not even allow the phone to charge after the phone randomly died once the battery was down to 30 or 40 percent. So at first I thought I had another battery issue with this new battery Ive had for only 2 weeks, but maybe it's some other issue.
Any suggestions are welcome to at least bring this phone back temporarily, Ive also been looking for a new phone recently, maybe an unlocked galaxy S5, Asus Zenfone 2 since those are popular.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So my S4 today was down to 63% battery and shut off. It wouldn't turn on or even charge. Taking the battery out and back in got it to charge and turn on again, but it continued to turn off again, not charge. I just tried taking the battery out and put it back in and it would go to the galaxy s4 splash screen and be turn off after 2 seconds.
So I tried putting the battery in and quickly pressing the power, menu button on front(whatever its called), and the volume down button at the same time, which I thought was to get the screen for clearing the cache, but it went to a screen that said something like "installing a custom ROM/software can be dangerous, press up volume to continue". I pressed up volume to continue just for giggles beacuse at this point the phone seems done for. Well it went to a screen with a big android symbol and it says "downloading... Do not turn off target!", and is stuck on that screen. It also says what I think is "ODIN MODE" with some product information up in the upper left corner.

I don't remember downloading any software or anything for the phone, I don't even know how to install software on the phone or if its possible since it's a locked ATT S4.

I also just replaced the battery because the old one would go down fast and would sometimes not even allow the phone to charge after the phone randomly died once the battery was down to 30 or 40 percent. So at first I thought I had another battery issue with this new battery Ive had for only 2 weeks, but maybe it's some other issue.
Any suggestions are welcome to at least bring this phone back temporarily, Ive also been looking for a new phone recently, maybe an unlocked galaxy S5, Asus Zenfone 2 since those are popular.

It's Volume UP, Home and Power, that's why you got the results you did.

GerGa

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I actually think the problem I am having is the one in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...battery-then-turns-off-after-two-seconds.html

The power buttom is probably dirty and the waterproof otterbox case I have probably doesn't help either because the button presses have always been vague becaude of the rubbery structure of the case buttons. The case is causing me to press the power button sideways and getting it stuck down. Thats why it turns on for 2 seconds and turns back off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513