I have been getting, at least daily, the phone switching to the play store app landing on some random phone app page. It does not matter what I am doing on the phone at random times it has switched to the "play store" app and it will load some random phone app page effectively "advertising" and interrupting me. For example I could be watching a streaming video and will switch to play store. Every morning when I unlock the phone I am greeted with the "play store" and some random phone app page. The problem started about a month ago. I have confirmed it is the real "play store" app running not some mock page.

The same problem "Unwanted Google App pop up offers" is mentioned in https://productforums.google.com/for...ay/BsHrjAFOLTw I have tried running some of the suggestions mentioned in that posting such as these apps:
    • AVG
    • Malware Bytes
    • CC cleaner

I did not expect it to find anything as launching "play store" is a legitimate activity when not abused - so how can you flag something like that. No threats / malware / badware etc were detected and CC cleaner showed nothing useful except under running processes was an entry called "Recommend Apps" that struck me as odd (no uninstall option). Anyone know if that is significant?

I am still searching for the Malware that is launching the play store. I look at my user processes and nothing stands out as suspicious. I have been running "notification history" app for 12 months as it logs a lots of stuff but I have not found anything helpful in the logs.

About a month ago I installed the Amazon store APK file from amazon web site (switched on "allow unknown sources"). I looked at the free apps but did not find what I wanted so I un-installed it and switched off "allow unknown sources" security option. Unless it left something on my phone I do not think it was the problem.

I am sloooowly removing recent apps to see if I can find catch the gremlin but this is will take a long time as I will need to wait at least a day for each app to see if their is any change in behaviour. I suspect it something that been on phone a long time but only recently started doing this malicious behaviour.

Is there any apps that will give me a list of all apps that contain code that launch the "play store" it would help narrow down ?

Any ideas how to track down what process is triggering launching play store?
    09-23-2016 04:39 AM
    Try an adblocker maybe... Adguard works well for me... You can lock up individual apps...
    09-23-2016 09:53 AM
    "CCleaner" .. that app is by Cheetah Mobile and nothing by them is trustworthy. They are known for bloating up apps with ads and spyware. I wouldn't be surprised if ccleaner was redirecting you. How many apps have you got installed... not including built-in apps?
    09-24-2016 02:03 AM
    "CCleaner" .. that app is by Cheetah Mobile and nothing by them is trustworthy. They are known for bloating up apps with ads and spyware. I wouldn't be surprised if CCleaner was redirecting you. How many apps have you got installed... not including built-in apps?
    I only briefly installed CCleaner yesterday and then removed it - this was well AFTER the problem started in late August and for diagnostic purposes. Android App manager "downloaded" list has 116 items that includes all the Samsung crap-ware and apps from "Google Inc". In that list I recognize 66 made up of 6 for local FTA and PAY TV streaming; 60 utility apps. Most are well known developers Microsoft, Intel, Yahoo etc. about 10 are on my short list of suspects only because they are lesser known. All the 60 apps are rated 3.0 or higher. Streaming apps and crapware don't score highly.
    09-24-2016 04:17 AM
    Try an adblocker maybe... Adguard works well for me... You can lock up individual apps...
    Adguard Content Blocker: An app that will block all ads only in Yandex Browser and Samsung Internet browser without requiring you to root your device.
    As this has nothing to do with the Samsun browser - as fas as I can see the samsung browser is not running when the play store starts. Please explain how Adguard would help?
    09-24-2016 04:23 AM