GALAXY S4 (not the Mini) Black Screen. Is it gone forever?

Caren4u2

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey Everybody!

Help! MIL has a Galaxy S4, that was shipped to me for diagnosis and hopefully fix. It has a BLACK SCREEN.

I've visited YouTube and have tried every possible solution online, in addition including switching chargers, inserted a new OEM battery, and disassembling the phone and removing the inner cover to check all of the cables. They are tight.

Inserting a new OEM battery seemed to help a little. Here's what it does now.

Turned off, and connected to a charger, the battery charging indicator icon, does not show. At one point, I was getting the red LED charging light. Not now.

If I turn on the phone, I get the typical vibration along with the blue LED light in the upper LH corner. After that, I get the typical Verizon startup tone, but get nothing as far as a lit up red Verizon start up screen. The screen is black. After a few seconds, I can tap on the "back arrow" digital button and both digital buttons light up, BUT (This is weird) I get a bell like tone....with every tap. Eventually, and sporadically, I get the standard haptic tone....but....even still Black Screen.

I've tried every step to try to put it in safe mode....to see if that would help. Can't tell if the phone went into safe mode, due to black screen.

Do I need to invest into buying MIL a new cellphone? Right now, she's using her recently passed husband's phone, and not liking it at all. If we are needing to invest into getting her another phone, is there one out there that is close enough to resemble the S4? She's in her late 70's so having one that will do what she's used to using, would be great.

Thanks in Advance!

Caren4u2
Surviving Hurricane Irma

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It could just be that the screen has failed and needs to be replaced, but the odd tones when you tap the capacitative buttons make me think that it could be more of a motherboard problem. Either way, it's probably not worth the cost of repair. Consider replacing it with a Moto G5 Plus, which is cheap (about $200), has decent performance, and a big screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE