This is the solution that worked for me, not a question.

Problem: Galaxy S4 would not turn on, and would not charge. Plugging in would once in a while show battery for 1 second, then go black (never showed charged or charging battery). Tried power boot (power + volume up + home key all at once several times). One time saw the Samsung boot screen for 1 second, then black again.
    Several people suggested it was the USB charge port dirty or bent, or dirty battery contacts. Nope. No of the suggestions got me more than 1 second of either battery or "Samsung" then black screen again.

Cause: When you take the back cover off and look at it, there are 2 pressure switches above and to the right of the battery. (there are also 2 contact points on left, ignore them). The contact switches are delicate push-down contact switches, that were no longer being pushed down enough, so they were not making contact.

Solution: Gently lift / bend up the rolled (bigger) end of the switch until it stays just slightly above the indent it is seated in. Remember, these are delicate, so don't brute them, but you do have to bend / lift them a little. Put cover back on, and presto, now it boots, and does everything it should.

Another person was on the right track, he just didn't know it. He suggested putting the phone down on back and pressing really hard on it, which in fact was just pressing these contacts more than just the back being attached.
    Skip the pressing, and instead slightly reshape / bend up the ends of the contacts so when the back is reattached, it pushes them down, and it should work.
    belodion likes this.
    05-07-2018 09:46 PM
    Thanks for the tip! I moved this to the S4 forum for more specific traffic.
    05-09-2018 11:52 AM