04-25-2014 06:48 PM
34 12
tools
    I have no experience with wireless charging so forgive my ignorance but will this work through my otterbox commuter case? I know I have to change out the battery cover to allow the contact but it would be a pain in I had to take my case off every time I needed a charge

Posted via Android Central App
    04-19-2014 01:48 AM
    I have no experience with wireless charging so forgive my ignorance but will this work through my otterbox commuter case? I know I have to change out the battery cover to allow the contact but it would be a pain in I had to take my case off every time I needed a charge

Posted via Android Central App
    It depends on the charger, the phone, and the case. I ran my S3 naked, so I am not sure. I will be running a case with my S5, and I will have to wait and see. I know the thinner cases have worked in the past. Usually you have to ask or read all the case and charger review comments. I have a feeling people will post in here too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app
    04-19-2014 08:17 AM
    Great. I still have my Nillkin Wireless Charging Orb.
    04-20-2014 08:58 AM
    I have 3 Nexus orbs (that i bought when I had a Nexus 4) and used it with my S4. The convenience of just grabbing it off the charger, especially when I'm at work is great. I too am hoping the replaceable back is the same size as the current back because the official Samsung S4 replaceable back made my S4 noticeably thicker and heavier and it was extremely difficult to find a case that actually fit it.

The phones can typically charge through cases, but again, it does depend on the case. Depending on the size of the charger (the nexus orb being narrow enough in diameter and the right bumper, you can still have actual "contact" between the back of the phone and the charger. With that said, I was able to make my S4 charge through a fully covering case.

I'm annoyed that Samsung wouldn't have made the charging covers immediately available (not to mention just part of the package to begin with) especially in light of the new port cover on the phone. It is really annoying to have to keep opening the cover and I'm always nervous that I will pull it out accidentally or break it. Don't get me wrong, I like the port cover, but then give us the wireless charger at the same time.
    Zylograth likes this.
    04-22-2014 10:17 AM
    The best Qi charger is the Tylt Vu. Check it out - I used it on my Droid Maxx and would love to use it on the S5. This will only happen if an actual thin TPU supports the back cover. I'm holding out hope because Diztronic says their S4 case was confirmed to work so hopefully the S5 will.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    04-23-2014 04:07 AM
    You don't need to get the Samsung cover for $30. Just get the receiver insert for $6-10 and use your current cover. There are plenty of them for all different models on amazon. Most Qi wireless will work if the case is less than 5mm thick. Spigen Slim Armor is a good example of one that it works with.
    04-25-2014 03:23 AM
    You don't need to get the Samsung cover for $30. Just get the receiver insert for $6-10 and use your current cover. There are plenty of them for all different models on amazon. Most Qi wireless will work if the case is less than 5mm thick. Spigen Slim Armor is a good example of one that it works with.
    yes, but the thinnest is 0.5mm, which is enough to create a bulge for water to leak through
    04-25-2014 02:49 PM
    actually, if you examine the stock back closely there is a space between the cover and battery big enough to fit the 0.5 mm receivers into. I really think Sammy is just adding the electronics to the stock cover and it was designed this way from the start...still a bit puzzling why they just didn't include it in the phone out of the box!
    With the aftermarket receiver, your concern should actually be more with the "fit" of the receiver as the cover gasket runs dangerously close to the charging contacts and leaves little room for extra backing material in this area! Be careful when choosing an aftermarket receiver as many leave extra material that will interfere with the seal! You may actually be able to trim this area back if necessary, but your taking a chance!
    Personally, I ordered one from DX that seems to be trimed VERY close to the contacts and is a "slim" 0.5 mm model and is only $9, so if it doesn't work is is no great lose!
    Down the road I may order a new Sammy charging back when they come with new collars to change the color of my phone...Red sounds nice!

Also, with my S4 I had no problems with the aftermarket thin receiver and any of the cases I have including several TPU and Spiegen Neo Hybrid or Slim Armor!
    And adding a higher power 2a wall plug tends to cut charge times considerably!

Cheers
    04-25-2014 06:16 PM
    actually, if you examine the stock back closely there is a space between the cover and battery big enough to fit the 0.5 mm receivers into. I really think Sammy is just adding the electronics to the stock cover and it was designed this way from the start...still a bit puzzling why they just didn't include it in the phone out of the box!
    With the aftermarket receiver, your concern should actually be more with the "fit" of the receiver as the cover gasket runs dangerously close to the charging contacts and leaves little room for extra backing material in this area! Be careful when choosing an aftermarket receiver as many leave extra material that will interfere with the seal! You may actually be able to trim this area back if necessary, but your taking a chance!
    Personally, I ordered one from DX that seems to be trimed VERY close to the contacts and is a "slim" 0.5 mm model and is only $9, so if it doesn't work is is no great lose!
    Down the road I may order a new Sammy charging back when they come with new collars to change the color of my phone...Red sounds nice!

Also, with my S4 I had no problems with the aftermarket thin receiver and any of the cases I have including several TPU and Spiegen Neo Hybrid or Slim Armor!
    And adding a higher power 2a wall plug tends to cut charge times considerably!

Cheers
    That would make me extremely happy but I'm not counting on it. I looked at the Note 3 cover and S5 cover and this is what the Note 3 says on Samsung store:

" *When installed, the Wireless Battery Cover will result in a very slight increase in the overall size of the device. As such, there is a possibility that not all case options may fit as they do with the standard battery cover installed."

I didn't see this on the S5 though. May be that the door is the same as stock or its just not added yet.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    04-25-2014 06:48 PM
34 12